Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Long toed salamander help

Newtothis33

Reaction score
Hi, I live In Washington state and I’m new to amphibians and seeking some knowledge. I found a baby salamander in my koi pond while cleaning it. It was in larvae stage gills and all, I put It in a small cricket tank but I read Somewhere they need at least 20 gallons so I bought a 29 gallon tank. When I put it in the new tank it had a lot of water (since I wasnt Sure if it was aquatic) then a couple days later it’s gills were gone! Freaking out, not wanting it to die I did Massive research and found out it went into metamorphosis and it was actually a long toed salamander. I’m in the process of completely rearranging the terrarium to fit the long toed salamander lifestyle (moss, coconut husk substrate, wood, rocks and a water area) . My girlfriend wants to name it but I have no idea how to determine sex? Can anyone help? And possible tips for best care for this little guy/girl?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!