Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Abscess Help

Dani736

Reaction score
I posted in a different sub category but thought I would try here.

I’m very new to owning Axies. I have one who had an abscess on his head. I was unsure what to do until I found you guys here, so it went on for longer than it should have.

I eventually found a vet who would see us who has cleaned out the abscess and he is now on antibiotics.

My question is how long before he should look a bit better, he is very sick still and I am not sure he is looking any better. If anything maybe a little less active and not happy at all.

I do not want him to suffer if there is no hope. Can anyone give me an indication of what to expect when dealing with this.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I don't have any experience with this at all, but I am so glad you were able to get to a vet! How long are the antibiotics for?

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
its hard to find even general healing times for some reason, personally it took my axy about 2 months to regrow a circular bite out of his tail, maybe half a cm wide. hes a juvenile so maybe an adult would take slightly longer, im not entirely sure.
i know the colder end of the normal range helps promote faster healing (mid to low 60'sF/15-18c) as does great water quality so focus on that and they should heal up with time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!