What type of salamander is this?

Re: What tipe of salamander is this?

Well, the first one actually looks like some type of skink.:rolleyes: I'm not sure about the second one, but I believe it might be some Plethodontid.:confused:

No, they're both definitely salamanders, though that's all I can contribute.

I´m not so sure..the first pic does look like a reptile. The hind legs have very long and oddly articulated fingers just like lizards.

The reason I thought the first one was not a salamander was because of its long toes, which I thought were only found on Ambystomids-and that did not look like an Ambystomid to me. :confused:

I agree with Will on both counts.

Well, what do I know. I thought it looked like a sal that had lost the tip of its tail.

Since it's in California, I would venture to guess a slender salamander. Which kind, I'm not sure, they have splintered into a bazillion different types.

if I had to guess I would say the first one is a skink of the plestiodon genus (formerly genus eumeces) as they are often referred to as salamanders is that part of the world (I don't know why) maybe a juvenile plestiodon skiltonianus from the head shape and slight hint of blue in the tail and the fact its in California but it could easily be a juvenile or even an adult of any number of species from that genus.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back