Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Live plants in Axolotl tank

MotherAxolotl

Reaction score
I have two juvenile axolotls in a tank with sand and live plants. But I'm realizing some of my plants are dying because they are tropical plants and my tank is definitely not tropical lol does anyone have any plant suggestions/recommendations? Thanks!

Karayna

Reaction score
Nice and hardy plants that don't require much light or tropical temperatures include species of Anubias, Echinodorus (sword plant), Egeria, Guppy grass, Java moss, Java fern, Vallisneria and Sagittaria!

I keep all these in my axie tanks, and I've only got the lights on for 15-30 minutes per day. Temp is 17°C/62.6 F. No ferts, CO2 or other "boosters". They are growing slowly and thriving!

VnLJkane

Reaction score
Do any plants help with ammonia levels? At the moment little Lottie is very happy but I am looking at getting her some live plants.

KitaKhat

Reaction score
From my experience with live plants in tropical fish tanks they do help slightly with ammonia levels, but a properly cycled tank and regular water changes are the primary ways ammonia is managed, along with nitrates and nitrites.

Additionally I can personally say java ferns grow well with minimal effort and in low light and seem to be difficult to up root. Water sprite along with maybe some mircoswords may also be good picks though the water sprite seems to be uprooted a little easier than is maybe best for energetic and investigative axolotls.

EDIT: I just looked at my tank and remembered I have a very happy crinkle onion that has been really good at not being uprooted.

Also all of the plants I mentioned are happy with slightly acidic to neutral pH water (5.5-7.5). And do not need a ton of fertilizer to grow and slowly make the tank look like Jurassic Park.

Do be aware that live plants do take up more carbon from the water and can make the water softer as a result if you do not add it back (I have found carbon additives at local fish stores). Softer water can lead to a less stable pH, which then causes a whole mess of problems.

Also HUGE note, my experience is primarily with tropical fresh water fish and I am in the process of learning about axolotls, although the information I provided should be correct if some one with more experience with axolotls says something different I would trust their word above mine.

Biev

Reaction score
Personally my favorite plant for axolotl tanks is pothos, attached to the side of the tank so the leaves can stick out. They soak up lots of nitrates, don't risk being ingested, and my axies use the roots almost like a hammock.

Sorry to be contradictory, but unless I'm remembering biology very wrong, plants can't use ammonia. They'll only help with nitrates, the rest is up to your bacteria population.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!