Tiger Salamander Questions

Frogss

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! (This is my first post to this forum so I apologize if I mess something up! :) )
I am getting a tiger salamander for my 10 gallon tank soon and I have a few questions on their care that I couldn’t seem to find specific answers to.
• Is a diet of night crawlers and red wrigglers optimal or should I feed something else?
• Should I dust the food with any calcium/multivitamins? I already have a leopard gecko so that would be easy for me to provide.
• How often should I feed them? There was a lot of differing opinions on this subject.
•Will the salamander be happy in a 10 gallon tank for its whole life or will I need to upgrade at some point?
• Is it safe to provide a 4-6 inch deep water section with a ramp leading out or would they have the possibility of drowning?
• How much dirt should I provide in order for them to thrive? I know they like burrowing but some sources have said to provide 2-3 inches which doesn’t seem like enough.
Those are all the questions I could think of for now! There’s a lot but ANY input at all is appreciated, thanks!

Hi, welcome to the site!
I can tell you that Nightcrawlers and red wrigglers don't need any kind of suppliments as they already contain everything your Salamander needs to grow and stay healthy. I think most of the other stuff you need to get started is in this article from Caudata Culture.

https://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/tiger_sal_101.shtml

Hi, welcome to the site!
I can tell you that Nightcrawlers and red wrigglers don't need any kind of suppliments as they already contain everything your Salamander needs to grow and stay healthy. I think most of the other stuff you need to get started is in this article from Caudata Culture.

https://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/tiger_sal_101.shtml

Thank you so much!! I’ll definitely check out that link :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back