Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Book Review: Newts, by Jordan Patterson

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Book Review: Newts: Their Care in Captivity by Jordan Patterson (TFH Publications, 1994, 49 pages. I also have another version of this book published by Chelsea House Publishers, Philadelphia, in 1999).

This is the perfect book to lend to your friends if you want to give them an idea of what your hobby is all about. Unless, of course, you're into axolotls.
And true to the title, the book focuses on newts and not salamanders, though the author has chosen to include a few pictures of the Fire salamander as well.

A brief description of commonly kept newts is followed by equally brief descriptions of their housing, feeding, and breeding. Three pages at the end are dedicated to the Fire Salamander, because the author feels its popularity deems it necessary.

But the book only has 47 pages of information, so it hardly prepares one for the rigors and particulars of true newt-keeping dedication. But like I said, it's a great lending book, and I choose this to lend to people over the other introductory handbooks I have because it has excellent photos of a large variety of newts. One guy at work I lent it to now dreams of owning a Tylototriton someday.

If I ever, for some bizarre and unfathomable reason, had to dump my boyfriend and embark on a new romantic relationship, I would say to the guy: "Read this book before you even talk to me."

Available used on Amazon as of this posting for 3¢ -- yes, that's THREE CENTS -- plus s/h.

Attachments

• 02bNewtsPatterson.jpg
    02bNewtsPatterson.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 417
  • 02bPatterson2.JPG
    02bPatterson2.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 426
Last edited:

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I, too, have this book, Dawn. Its what prompted me to find out even more about newt keeping. I think the pictures are good and it offers a nice intro to most of the popular species kept. It also covers most of the really important aspects of newt keeping. Because it is so short I think its a good beginner book (so its not overwhelming) but there are some things about it I do not like. The biggest - he stresses the importance of frequent complete cleanings of the tank, like thoroughly bleaching it and all decorations to get rid of bacteria. This really irks me because good water quality with a bio filter is so important to newt husbandry. I also don't like that he states that some species will need a water heater (though also writes that most newts should be kept about 65F). And finally, he does not stress the need for a lid enough! In fact he writes that because they are aquatic newts won't climb because they wouldn't want to leave the water and that a lid is really only needed to prevent other pets from harassing the newts.
So theres my two cents on the book: a decent book for beginners but lacks some major and important (even vital) aspects of their care. But hey, 3 cents is a steal for any book and more than what I paid for it about 7 years ago.

freves

Reaction score
I have this book as well however it is on one of the shelves in the garage so that says how much I feel the need to reference it. Before I rip into the series as a whole I want to say that I know nothing about the author or his experience with salamanders so I am in no way meaning to disrespect his work. With that being said, this book was part of a series produced by TFH that was a blatant attempt to capatilize on the success of the "General Care and Maintenence of..." series by Philippe DeVosjoli and others. Unlike Mr. DeVosjoli's books, the TFH series were mass produced in a short period of time. Most all of the books were filled with many of the TFH recycled photos of the time. Advertisments were abundant in those books and in many cases the ads were for products that were not useful in keeping the animals being written about (such as hot rocks). It was also obvious that many of these titles were nothing short of a book report being written by someone with little to no personal experience on the subject matter. There were a few exceptions, such as the one on Caribbean Anoles. By and large however this series featured little actual substance.
Chip

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!