Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Terrarien Atlas Band 1 by Dr. Hans-Joachim Herrmann

freves

Reaction score
Terrarien Atlas Band 1 by Dr. Hans-Joachim Hermann (Melle: Mergus, 2001). 1152 pages.

This is yet another book that I have that I cannot read because I do not understand German. This is part of a series of aquarium and terrarium books, some of which have been published in english (this volume has not). There are introduction chapters as well as chapters on biology, housing, vivarium plants, feeding, breeding, and diseases of amphibians. I am not going to delve too deeply into this book because I cannot read German and there is no way to give a fair review. What I can say is there are approximately 300 pages devoted to salamander species with a photograph portraying most of each species mentioned. This is by far the most comprehensive book on salamander husbandry that I have yet to see. Overall the photography is great. I found it interesting yet somewhat disturbing that there are quite a few rare and endangered species covered such as Andrias davidianus, A. japonica, Cryptobranchus, Echinotriton chinhaiensis, and various Neurergus species just to name a few. It makes one wonder what all is being kept in German homes these days. This book really makes me wish that I could read German. I would love to read a proper review of the content. The price is steep (59.00 US off of ebay) but I do not regret the purchase.
Chip

Last edited:

sergé

Reaction score
The book is excellent for the pictures and shows many species and subspecies not to be found anywhere else, however...there are lots of mistakes. Some pictures are also horribly bad, like Tylototriton verrucosus (near dead).
Most irritating are incorrect spellings of scientific names which really is bad. But also not all advices are good and a lot of information given can not be traced to a source. For instance if is written how a species should be kept I don't know if it is a personal advice or reference which has been published in a magazine. There is no reference list.

But, it was a first and good attempt to depict all species and giving short advices for keeping them. However, the book is outdated by the far better Raffaelli book, urodeles du monde, whcih actually gives first or second hands tips on keeping and breeding. So, don't learn german, start learning french!!

freves

Reaction score
I noticed that T. verrucosus pic! I did enjoy seeing an actual photograph of a T. taliangensis larvae (I keep hoping to be able to take one myself one day). Thank you for the input Serge.
Chip

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!