Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

The Dark Side of Species Discovery

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This was shared by Amphibiaweb on Facebook today. It's an old article which may've been posted here before but it was the first time I'd read it so thought I'd share. It's a transcription of an interview with the scientist who discovered the Laos newt and makes for pretty depressing reading.

The dark side of new species discovery

Food for thought when you next see that $200 "must have" new species.

mshine1217

Reaction score
Thank you Mark for sharing this article. It shows that to acquire the new "fad" animal has far reaching consequences. Unfortunately there will be people with more money than brains who help to fuel the trade. Hopefully the announcement of new species tied together with government safeguards and education will help protect these animals in the future.

gar4016

Reaction score
I've always suspected this type of situation happened, and while I don't like hearing about it, it's good to have it documented example. I think collectors and sellers alike should be more aware of their purchasing decisions when it comes to newer or rarer species.

The more captive bred individuals that are on the market, the less of a demand there is for wild caught. I think that it's important to emphasize captive bred animals are always a better option.

For a new species to the hobby, it is a bit more difficult to curb consumers' appetites. Until captive bred populations exist, I'm not sure what you can do to keep people from looking for a purchasing rarer species. If you point people to an article like this they can connect real world consequences to their actions when purchasing new species, and in some cases that may be enough to change their mind.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1