Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Haven

abbeh15

Reaction score
After a long 2 day trip from Pennsylvania to Alaska, my two new 'lotls made it safely to my home :) Big thanks to forum member squishyjaws12 for the most beautiful axies.

esa9ade5.jpg

Golden albino, sparkly goodness.

y9epyrag.jpg

Looking great, even after a cross country trip.

uhanehe2.jpg

Leucistic, cutie patootie speckle face

3y6e4ate.jpg

Peek-a-boo, I see you!

aju5u6u7.jpg

40 gallon breeder, I rearranged the plants so its a little cloudy.

Once I find my SD card for my camera, I'll post some better pics. Until then iPhone photos will have to do.

FX1C

Reaction score
They're just gorgeous :)

Lovely tank for some lovely lotls :D

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I'm quite jealous that you can get 2-day shipping in Alaska, but I can't in North Dakota...

Cute little guys!

abbeh15

Reaction score
I'm quite jealous that you can get 2-day shipping in Alaska, but I can't in North Dakota...

Cute little guys!

Really? Between here and Hawaii, I thought we were the only states that didn't get express mail right away.

I am absolutely enamored with these guys. They almost seem unreal. All I have ever seen in person are the wild types my lps brings in and they are always beaten up. The leucistic and golden just so gosh darn cute.

If I had no life, I could sit and watch them all day.

Martin21114

Reaction score
Really? Between here and Hawaii, I thought we were the only states that didn't get express mail right away.

I am absolutely enamored with these guys. They almost seem unreal. All I have ever seen in person are the wild types my lps brings in and they are always beaten up. The leucistic and golden just so gosh darn cute.

If I had no life, I could sit and watch them all day.

I thoroughly enjoy your avatar.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I live way out in the boonies. Our mail takes the scenic tour of the state before getting here.

Your sand looks pretty deep. Are you stirring it up regularly to avoid anaerobic pockets?

tigmades

Reaction score
Congratulations! I hope you enjoy them :)

I don't want to nag, but that gravel looks a bit big to me... I've read it should be kept to 1mm and under. Just be careful :3 Lovely set up!

abbeh15

Reaction score
Your sand looks pretty deep. Are you stirring it up regularly to avoid anaerobic pockets?

It is deeper than I intended and I am going to take a good portion of it out next water change. Even so, I still stir it up every water change to remove any potential gas pockets.

I don't want to nag, but that gravel looks a bit big to me... I've read it should be kept to 1mm and under. Just be careful :3 Lovely set up!

It is a fine play sand. I know full well about the complications of gravel impaction as I just recently lost my first axie to it. :(

Thanks everyone for the compliments :D

tigmades

Reaction score
Whoops, I meant that the sand looks a bit big to me. I'm sick so don't mind my scrambled brain! So sorry to hear about your loss :(

abbeh15

Reaction score
Found my camera's memory card and managed to get some decent pics.

After a lengthy QT process, I also decided a new wild type into the tank . I rescued him/her from my LPS. He was very underweight and housed with a larger axie. All his gills had been nipped down to nubs and his limbs were in the process of regrowing. As soon as I got him home and acclimated, he ate like he'd never eaten before. He even tried to eat my fingers, brave little guy. Ever since he's been a porky pig. His limbs have completely regrown(minus two toes on one of his hind feet) and his gills are continuing to grow.

Attachments

• golden.JPG
    golden.JPG
    347 KB · Views: 4,272
  • leucistic.JPG
    leucistic.JPG
    314.1 KB · Views: 803
  • wild.jpg
    wild.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 373
  • wild2.JPG
    wild2.JPG
    387.9 KB · Views: 421

SanderB

Reaction score
Nice Axolotls, realy like the clownhead, wish I had one.

SanderB

Reaction score
Nice axolotls, really like your clownshead, would love to have one like that.

abbeh15

Reaction score
Little update:

Everyone is happy and healthy, plus there is a new addition to the gang.

Meet Motley, a stout, blackish blue melanoid with a gorgeous mottled belly.
abbeh15-albums-abby-s-axies-picture27707-motley-compact-melanoid.jpg

He/She is always on the go.
abbeh15-albums-abby-s-axies-picture27708-motley-always-go.jpg

Chao is getting darker freckles everyday and they are spreading all the way down her back. They are nearly to the end of her tail.
abbeh15-albums-abby-s-axies-picture27714-chao-usually-stands-up-straight-legs.jpg

"Pretty please with wormies on top?"
abbeh15-albums-abby-s-axies-picture27711-chao-worm-begger.jpg

Pretty boy Mud Pie is such a stunner now compared to when I got him
abbeh15-albums-abby-s-axies-picture27710-good-boy-mud-pie-asking-politely-worms.jpg

Hard not to smile when I see this face :)
abbeh15-albums-abby-s-axies-picture27712-mud-pies-derp-face.jpg

Last but not least, my baby boy Pyrite.
abbeh15-albums-abby-s-axies-picture27709-my-fools-gold-axie-pyrite.jpg

Fool's gold all over this boy ;)
abbeh15-albums-abby-s-axies-picture27713-pyrite-glowy-eye.jpg

hannahll

Reaction score
Little update:

Everyone is happy and healthy, plus there is a new addition to the gang.

Meet Motley, a stout, blackish blue melanoid with a gorgeous mottled belly.
abbeh15-albums-abby-s-axies-picture27707-motley-compact-melanoid.jpg

He/She is always on the go.
abbeh15-albums-abby-s-axies-picture27708-motley-always-go.jpg

Chao is getting darker freckles everyday and they are spreading all the way down her back. They are nearly to the end of her tail.
abbeh15-albums-abby-s-axies-picture27714-chao-usually-stands-up-straight-legs.jpg

"Pretty please with wormies on top?"
abbeh15-albums-abby-s-axies-picture27711-chao-worm-begger.jpg

Pretty boy Mud Pie is such a stunner now compared to when I got him
abbeh15-albums-abby-s-axies-picture27710-good-boy-mud-pie-asking-politely-worms.jpg

Hard not to smile when I see this face :)
abbeh15-albums-abby-s-axies-picture27712-mud-pies-derp-face.jpg

Last but not least, my baby boy Pyrite.
abbeh15-albums-abby-s-axies-picture27709-my-fools-gold-axie-pyrite.jpg

Fool's gold all over this boy ;)
abbeh15-albums-abby-s-axies-picture27713-pyrite-glowy-eye.jpg

He's on fire!

Mortimer

Reaction score
Found my camera's memory card and managed to get some decent pics.

After a lengthy QT process, I also decided a new wild type into the tank . I rescued him/her from my LPS. He was very underweight and housed with a larger axie. All his gills had been nipped down to nubs and his limbs were in the process of regrowing. As soon as I got him home and acclimated, he ate like he'd never eaten before. He even tried to eat my fingers, brave little guy. Ever since he's been a porky pig. His limbs have completely regrown(minus two toes on one of his hind feet) and his gills are continuing to grow.

Oh my goodness, these pictures are gorgeous! What kind of camera are you using? It captures your little guys so well! :) They are awesome.

abbeh15

Reaction score
Oh my goodness, these pictures are gorgeous! What kind of camera are you using? It captures your little guys so well! :) They are awesome.

Thank you! The camera I'm using is an old DSLR, Nikon D60. Not nearly as fancy as some of the DSLR's out there, but it gets the job done :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1