Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Comparing 2 T.verrucosus strains

Niels D

Reaction score
Aaron (Mr. Cyclone) has given me some eggs of his T.verrucosus. They're from the strain which John got from Ummi. When they hatched I've had some eggs from my own animals hatched as well. There were less than 12 hours in between these two strains hatching.
Because I could now resemble the development of both strains I decided to take some pictures. I will refer to my animals as strain A and the animals I got from Aaron as strain B. Strain A is of the small and dark coloured variety. Strain B is the larger light coloured type. I know my animals are from Germanny, but the source isn't known to me at this moment.
Keep in mind that both strains experienced the same conditions. Only hatching circumstances were a bit different.

At first both strains were of the same size but Strain A had more spots and was a little darker:

The difference in darkness decreased a little. Size remained the same:

Strain A grew a little faster and remained a little darker:

Then both strains were of the same size again. At this point the difference regarding to the colour/pattern went away. The strains kept looking alike for a longer period. Right one is strain A:

Then strain B slowly started to get bigger than strain A. Colour/pattern remained the same. Right animal is strain A:

Today strain B is significantly bigger than strain A. Strain B is a bit darker except for two very light coloured animals. I will keep on comparing the development:

The light coloured strain B animal (repost on this forum):

An adult specimen of strain A:

Niels D

Reaction score
Decided to compare the two larvae with eachother together with one of my (Strain A) juveniles from May 2013. The Strain B larva is almost as big, though it's from October 2013.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1