Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tylototriton Yangi

frogman

Reaction score
Well, it has come to my attention that the old thread is not only stating an improper name but is also generally out of date. So I will start a new one :D well, I will start out by saying that all newts were taken out of winter cooling as of January 15th 2014. They kept good weight during the winter and are all in great health. The new female has fit in just fine with the others and I could not be more happy to have her. I am keeping them in their terrestrial setup until the beginning of March and then I will transfer then into the aquatic tank. In the time I was cooling them. I gutted and redid the 40 gallon breeder tank. It may look similar but there are some modifications. There is now more area on the floor of the water part and also a custom sponge filter. The land area had hides, moss, and plenty of plants to make them feel right at home while they are adjusting to the water phase. Here's the tank
Full View
5edyguna.jpg

Water
se9ytagy.jpg

frogman

Reaction score
The colony was in their dirt/moss tank for a month. It came to my attention that the base of the container that they were in was the same size as the land area in the 40g (12x18). So I took the moss and made the land area in the aquarium as good, if not better, as the one they were in before.

I just put them in and they are getting adjusted. Just a matter of time before they begin exploring the water area.

Here are some pictures :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392363313.279553.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392363327.453044.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392363339.877033.jpg
And my favorite (big mama)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392363350.627234.jpg

adler0

Reaction score
Wow, your tank looks great! I'm thinking about getting one of these soon so it's nice to see a great set up like yours. Thanks for sharing.

Asianherps

Reaction score
Well, it has come to my attention that the old thread is not only stating an improper name but is also generally out of date. So I will start a new one :D well, I will start out by saying that all newts were taken out of winter cooling as of January 15th 2014. They kept good weight during the winter and are all in great health. The new female has fit in just fine with the others and I could not be more happy to have her. I am keeping them in their terrestrial setup until the beginning of March and then I will transfer then into the aquatic tank. In the time I was cooling them. I gutted and redid the 40 gallon breeder tank. It may look similar but there are some modifications. There is now more area on the floor of the water part and also a custom sponge filter. The land area had hides, moss, and plenty of plants to make them feel right at home while they are adjusting to the water phase. Here's the tank
Full View
5edyguna.jpg

Water
se9ytagy.jpg

Thanks for sharing :happy:
T. yangi is terrestrial most of the time, so I would suggest increasing the land portion and provide some more hiding places.
If they do mate, remember to record the courtship behavior! :D

frogman

Reaction score
No eggs yet seth, they are staying terrestrial and hidden for now. One male is exploring the shallows a bit though. In late spring I will raise humidity and temps. If I am to get eggs it will be in June-July as they are late summer breeders.

mr cyclone

Reaction score
Alex Tuskanov has a good thread on here he has bred his 3-4 times a year . I believe he raises the temps to 22c and does water changes via artificial showers,
I hope you are successful ,my fingers are crossed

frogman

Reaction score
My large female has taken to the water quickly, the males and small female are sticking to the land for now. One male has been venturing into the water shallow area. I am hoping for eggs this summer. I should have more luck with one more female and having put them through winter cooling.

Evan

frogman

Reaction score
Nothing yet, mostly getting used to the aquatic life still. Tails fattening and things like that. They are getting close though, I did see some interest between a male and female the other day.

Evan

frogman

Reaction score
I have some good news! Both females look gravid and males have been stalking them. One male in particular has a very large cloaca and is showing the most interest :D I have my fingers crossed. I am surprised that they are becoming aquatic so early though, these guys are said to be late summer breeders. I guess we will see what happens.

Evan

mr cyclone

Reaction score
Excellent new mate what are you doing to stimulate them? Increase in temperature and water changes?
Keep us posted Evan I hope they lay loads of eggs mate

frogman

Reaction score
Even better news! Found a spermataphore in the tank a few minutes ago. All 3 males have swollen cloacas! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401005622.255835.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1401005673.550493.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1401005695.961783.jpg

frogman

Reaction score
Well it's that time of year again. The temperature is heating up and so is the activity in the yangi tank. I have been seeing loads of spermataphores and have observed lots of courtship. Here is a recent video. One male sandwiched between two females.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wQh4uj34ZOg

And some spermataphores of course.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404850102.772828.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404850112.480484.jpg

I think eggs are just around the corner :)

Enjoy!

Evan

frogman

Reaction score
Cut back feeding a bit during the winter. Now that it is warming up I am feeding them a lot more. I notice one male has taken to the water already!

mr cyclone

Reaction score
Cool I decided to cool mine whilst I worked on a new setup for them,I have since my last post literally just broke one of the light bulbs for the hood so not happy about that.I have spoke to a French guy about how he managed to breed them and ive based my new build on his tips,I am more than anything just hopeing that when they come out of the cooling process they are healthy more than anything and willing to eat

frogman

Reaction score
Sounds good man, keep me updated. I have been scaling down lately, but I want to focus on these more.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!