Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Will aquatic newts eat guppies?

gsimpler

Reaction score
This just a general question with no specific species in mind. If I put guppies in an aquatice newt tank would the newts eat them?

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some species are more adapted to catching fish than others. Paddletails probably consume fish in the wild as they seem especially good at it.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Few species are adept at catching live fish, plus it is usually not a great idea to add fish to a newt tank. Most species actively inhabit fishless water bodies. If fish are introduced to a breeding site, they may abandon it and look for a safer one.
Also, any fish that is going to be in any kind of contact with a newt should be properly quarantined in advance.
To be honest, they are not even that good a meal...your newts will be better off on a diet of invertebrates.

Blackbun

Reaction score
Newts and salamanders eat most things they can catch and swallow. However, here's an issue which needs considering and respecting and hobbiests from outside the UK will need to clarify this accordingly. A simple web search will provide the necessary information.
I quote:
'United Kingdom law, under the Animal Welfare Act 1996, says you may not feed vertebrates, live, to a predator'.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1