Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

The chemical composition of the water for Neurergus Crocatus.

mladaboleslaw

Reaction score
Hello. In the literature on Neurergus crocatus descriptions of studies of the chemical composition of water in their natural habitat.
"Mean values of some water chemistry parameters of
breeding habitats was found to be as follows: Fe = 0.015
mg/l, Mn = 0.2 mg/l, Cl- = 0.9 mg/l, K = 0.6 mg/L, NO 3- =
1.2 mg/L, NH 3- = 0.015 mg/L, hardness Ca = 0.07 mg/L,
and hardness Mg = 2.215 mg/L. Therefore, in these inhabited waters toxic parameters (chloride, nitrate, and ammonia), hardness (Mg and Ca), dissolved oxygen, and
pH are all in acceptable range (Odum and Zippel 2008)."
What do you think of enriching the aquarium water with mineral salts for example. Tanganyika aquarium type? An example of such a formulation is, for example. "Mineral salt" of sera. The composition is Mg, K, Ca.

Craig Bingman

Reaction score
Hello. In the literature on Neurergus crocatus descriptions of studies of the chemical composition of water in their natural habitat.
"Mean values of some water chemistry parameters of
breeding habitats was found to be as follows: Fe = 0.015
mg/l, Mn = 0.2 mg/l, Cl- = 0.9 mg/l, K = 0.6 mg/L, NO 3- =
1.2 mg/L, NH 3- = 0.015 mg/L, hardness Ca = 0.07 mg/L,
and hardness Mg = 2.215 mg/L. Therefore, in these inhabited waters toxic parameters (chloride, nitrate, and ammonia), hardness (Mg and Ca), dissolved oxygen, and
pH are all in acceptable range (Odum and Zippel 2008)."
What do you think of enriching the aquarium water with mineral salts for example. Tanganyika aquarium type? An example of such a formulation is, for example. "Mineral salt" of sera. The composition is Mg, K, Ca.

The water composition above is "very soft" for natural water. The only water that you would need to enrich in minerals is highly purified RO/DI water.

Jonnayz

Reaction score
While not about Crocatus specifically, I found that while keeping Kaiseri they faired a lot better when the pH was a but higher. I didn't go through any drastic means of raising it as I lived in an area with very hard, mineral rich water but I did furnish their enclosure with lace rock which Neurergus in general seem to like

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!