Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axies with potential problems,need advice

dumb bug

Reaction score
I have two axolotls and both are having some issues. I have a gfp melanoid and a leucistic, they're both about 6.5 in.

I purchased my melanoid recently and the lady i bought him from told me he had some birth defects and wasn't able to sell him because no one wanted him, which made me feel very sad (give them a chance!). Anyway, his back leg grew upwards instead of downwards so he has an upside down back leg, he is missing a finger from one of his front legs, and has a finger growing out his chest. The defects are fine with me and i think they make him very cute and different, I don't really have a problem with the defects. He is also surprisingly a far better swimmer than my leucistic ( don't tell him i said that).The lady told me that batch of axies had some defects. He eats fine and stuff, BUT i noticed when he eats, he doesn't suck in enough so it's very hard for him to get a grasp of the food and sometimes he seems to drool (not throw up) which i have never heard of an axie doing. I read on a post on this forum that if an axie has some defects on the outside, it might have defects on the inside, and if thats the case i should euthanize it because it might be suffering. I want that to be the last option since he eats but has trouble taking the food in.

I have had my leucistic for about 3 months and he is very healthy. However when i feed him sometimes, he has trouble swallowing it, he swallows it and spits it out halfway and sucks it in again over and over and sometimes he even turns a little bit red and purple and kind of has spasms, which makes me worry a lot. Eventually, he swallows it and wants more food, only to do it again. I cut the pieces very small for him since he does this, but even those tiny pieces make him do it. He also eats nightcrawlers. I was thinking maybe i am overfeeding, but i feed him every other day and he poops quite a bit. It's very hard to tell if he's not hungry because he tries to eat everything. I was also thinking, maybe he just doesn't like them but i am not sure because axies aren't very picky i have read.

Both axies are active and water parameters are perfect for both. Leucistic is in 20L gallon and melanoid is still being quarantined in 10 gal. Both are male.
Ammonia: 0
pH: 7.6
NitrAte:40
Nitrite: 0

Sorry about the long paragraphs. I am worried and need some advice. Thank you

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe he has other defects that are not visible. I think the best you can do is give him a supportive an environment and hope for the best. If you can afford it, you could take him to the vet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1