Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: My axolotl lost his dorsal fin.

Dodoman

Reaction score
Good day, everyone.

It's my first time posting on this forum after a long time lurking, and I thought that maybe one of you could give a hint as to what is happening to my little axolotl.

As of last thursday (12/21) I noticed, while I was about to feed my axolotl, that one of them had "lost" part of his tail. Mostly it looks like it shrunk, like, A LOT. Also, he is very lethargic, and not interested in food at all. What caught me off-guard out of this whole ordeal is that, literally, everything went wrong out of the blue, and that his tankmate (another axolotl, around one month younger than him) is perfectly fine. I'm assuming that, perhaps, something was going on for a while, but he'd just began to show it on the outside? Honestly, I've been racking my braing for what could have gone wrong.

I will be posting pictures at the end of this post.

Now, on to other details: He's around... 8-9 months, I'd say? I've had him for around 3 months now.
The last thing he (and his tankmate) ate were chopped crickets, since I wasn't feeling comfortable with feeding them live bugs (because I was afraid that they were going to hurt them). This happened on tuesday 12/19.

He's been gulping air from the surface, but his gills seem to be "twitching" as much as they did before, and he lost weight.

I've sent him to the fridge last night, and he regurgitated the last thing he ate (the crickets).

Also, the bottom of his jaw looked kinda swollen, but as of today (12/22) it got a liiiiittle bit better.

Their diet is pretty diverse, they go from pellets, to bugs, to the occasional liver, etc.

My tank can hold around 54 liters of water, and I have a very soft filter that's just enough to keep the water flow constant, without bothering them.

I do 20-30% water changes every week and half, making sure that the water is dechlorinated.

I already called the aquarium where I got both of my boys, and all they could tell me was to aislate the sick one, and add a little piece of antibacterial pills to the water, so he can heal. Other than that. nothing else. It kinda sounds like there wasn't much hope for my axolotl.

I'll be sending a sample of my tank's water to test it's parameters.

If there's anything else I can tell you guys, please ask.

I apologize for any grammar mistakes, and thank you for reading this.

Attachments

• 20171221_213908.jpg
    20171221_213908.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 893
  • 20171221_214015.jpg
    20171221_214015.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 259
  • 20171221_213952.jpg
    20171221_213952.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 324
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1