Question: How's my set up?

Attempt49

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Crystal
So i've never owned an axolotl before, but i've been trying my best to get all the items together that I need in the about a year now of research i've been doing.
To the point, here's what items I have so far...
1. 20 gall tank
2. Aqua tech 10-20 filter
3. Tetra Whisper Aquarium Air Pump
4. Imagitarium Airline Check Valve
5. Tetra AquaSafe Water Conditioner (I have two 5 gallon buckets i plan to use & have the conditioner set in with the water for 24 hours)
6. Imagitarium Black Aquarium Sand
7. A few rocks, a giant St Peter's ear shell that i cleaned
8. Few rocks & fake plants
9. JW Pet Magnet Smart Temperature Aquarium Thermometer
10. 3, 5 gallon buckets, 2 for water changes, 1 to put my Axolotl in when doing tank cleans
11. Turkey Baster (To suck up poo & what not)

I really hope that's all okay? If I need more items i'm willing to buy them, I really want to make the best home for the axolotl. I haven't gotten it yet, but I wanted to run this by people who knew a lot about Axolotls before I got it, & sadly none of my friends know much about it, but I found this community recently & I hope people will be able to say i'm doing well so far, or give me some advice. Thank you :talker:

There is probably no need for the air pump unless it runs the filter and if you were to keep it, you'd need an air stone too!
You do not need to leave the conditioned water out to set. It is fine immediately, less time and mess!
Is the sand sharp? Make sure the rocks and shells are big enough to not fit in your axolotl's mouth.
I leave my axolotls in the tanks for water changes. There is no reason to remove them, and it causes stress.

There is probably no need for the air pump unless it runs the filter and if you were to keep it, you'd need an air stone too!
You do not need to leave the conditioned water out to set. It is fine immediately, less time and mess!
Is the sand sharp? Make sure the rocks and shells are big enough to not fit in your axolotl's mouth.
I leave my axolotls in the tanks for water changes. There is no reason to remove them, and it causes stress.

Im working on getting an air stone, I thought it came with the filter, but it did not, sadly >:T
Nope, the sand it actually quiet nice, & I thought you had to leave it out for 24 hours just in case there were any harmful chemicals in the water conditioner?

It seems that all the things you will use are adequate. I use the same type of sand with good results ( even highlights the color of my leucistic one).
Personally I think that plants and driftwood gives a more natural decoration and more realistic touch to your aquarium. I think only one thing is missing: consider a good method to reduce the water temperature because these guys are very sensitive to high temperatures. I use a PC fan and even on the hottest day it does not exceed 22 ° C.
Good luck.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back