The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 9th November 2004   #1
shadowdh

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi there... I have had a couple of ribbed newts for a few months in a tank with some tropical fish and have had no probs... but I now have 3 hatchling turtles in there and was wondering if there is an issue with toxicity from the newts... thanks...

Old 9th November 2004   #2
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I agree. Turtles (even hatchlings) and newts don't mix well, not for long. Also, if you are keeping the ribbed newts with tropical fish, they are likely to be warmer than what is best for the newts.

Old 10th November 2004   #3
joeri

Gallery Images:
Comments:

- I don't think spanish ribbed newts are toxic as they have an other method for defense

- newts and tropical fish in the same tank? Without doubt the temperatures will be a bit high for your newts. And believe me, your newts will get territorial towards your fish and attack them - no matter the size.

- get yourself two extra tanks and separate fish/newts/turtles: if you than provide them with the mini environment they all need - they''l all be better of and behave more 'naturally'.
Keep them all together and agression/stress will make several victims in no time.

good luck

Tags
iberian or spanish, matesc, newts, ribbed, tank, toxicity

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 15th December 2018, 17:52 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.