Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Thrashing around, not eating, red veins all over body.

cayleesl

Reaction score
My axolotl seems very sick. About 5 days ago I was doing a water change on my tank and when I put him back in, his gills started twitching and he started darting around trying to jump out of the water, thrashing around and banging his head on the glass. It looked like seizures. I took him out of the tank and got him new water and put him in a smaller container (temp is kept 66-68 degrees). He seemed to calm down a lot. His gills had immediately started to curl away from his head and lay down flat against his back. After a few days in there I decided he needed to stay out of his tank longer so I got a bigger container yesterday from the store and after rinsing it out and acclimating him, I put him in and the thrashing and seizures started again. Even biting his tail. Tonight I checked on him and he's still biting at his tail but now he has bright red veins all over him and is refusing food. Today is the only day he's refused food completely, he's not even lifting his head at it. I can't see any fungus on him so I have no clue what this is. Please help! Ps. I have always conditioned his water and it is kept below 70 always.

DSaxolotl

Reaction score
Hello,

It seems that something might changed from normal with that water change.

Lets try this:
What are your tank
PH
Ammonia
Nitrites
Nitrates
Temp

What is your tap water PH ? Do you treat your water with dehlorinators like API Prime ?

Having big swings in PH and water parameters and or maybe even chlor in the tap water might be just some of the causes for the gills. But the tail biting seems very odd maybe a visit to the vet office will help you more

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!