Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Field guides for North American caudates?

punctata

Reaction score
I'm looking for book that can show me all of the North American caudates with species name and location. I am struggling to find a very good field guide that can identify all species and habitat areas.
Thank you

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It would be a bit big to use as a field guide but I don't think you can go wrong with Petranka's Salamanders of the United States and Canada.

The field guide I used as a wee undergrad was Peterson's A Field Guide to Reptiles and Amphibians. These are regional, however, and you will need more than one book if you want to cover the whole of North America. Also, not caudate specific but I thought still useful.

HJ

Rupert

Reaction score
I still have a copy of "The National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Reptiles and Amphibians."

It's a bit dated, but the range and photos are still excellent.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Petersen's is the best bet for field guides, although you need two. Petranka is a must-have, but not practical for a field guide, and a bit dated now. Urodeles du Monde is comprehensive, but too big for the "field", and it's in French. Salamanders of the Southeast and Salamanders of Ohio are two excellent backups that cover a lot of eastern species. Otherwise, I try to have multiple field guides for each state, park, and region I'm in. Each guide has different style, coverage, map types, images, and information. The smaller the region covered by the guide, the more information it tends to have which is specific to that region. This is only practical if you have a vehicle with space, and the time or money to build up the library!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!