Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

IHS Doncaster meeting September 3rd 2017

Alexscott98

Reaction score
Did anyone attend the meeting today in Doncaster at the racecourse today? I travelled there today from Manchester and was surprised that I didn't see many amphibians. Seen a few dartfrogs at most and some salamanders. 1 newt which was a crocodile newt and a few axotls, was expecting to see more species of newts if I'm honest..

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, my friend morg and i go to most of them and I agree they are hit and miss when it comes to phibs. Sometimes though, the newts I have seen there have been quite unusual. Over the last few, amongst the standard adult Axolotls and waltls there have been juvenile Taricha torosa, T granulosa, Cynops ensicauda popei (sadly without locality data or I would have snapped them up!) and Triturus pygmaeus so it's always worth a look.
I always think these kinds of expos are driven by a combination of dry goods companies promoting their latest pot skull decorations and coloured sand substrates along with reptile breeders selling their latest colour morphs before they go out of fashion, but it's horses for courses i guess, pardon the pun. ;)

Alexscott98

Reaction score
I was dissapointed if I'm honest. I was expecting to see more than what I saw. Today it was just all snakes and leopard geckos with the odd crested geckos. Was hoping to pick up a pair of Triturus dobricus but none were there.. and I do agree on the promoting of skull decorations, I went to the 'clearence sale area' what a waste of time that was.. anyhows that was my first IHS meeting and there is another one in November so I may go to that one.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1