Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

D. tenebrosus vs D. copei

W

warren

Heh, no this is not a smackdown match between the two species. I just have a close-up of the head/upper body areas of a larva of each. Unfortunately, the size difference is great enough (the copei is about 1.5X the size of the tenebrosus) that some of the features are not as noticeable. Also, I have had my micro lens and extension rings for less than 2 weeks and am still learning how to get good results.
First the tenebrosus:
tenebrosusclose.jpg

The gills are somewhat longer than in copei, but this specimen is not a posterchild for this! lol Notice that the head is somewhat "streamlined" with the body. Also, the lighter markings on the body tend to run together almost forming streaks. The eyes are a little lower down than on the copei as well.

Now the copei.
copesclose.jpg

This is actually a much better angle to see the biggest difference between the two species. There is a very noticeable "waist" between the head and body. The head is more squared off and the eyes are higher up on the head. The filament to stalk ratio for the gills is also somewhat smaller than for the tenebrosus. Finally, the light markings are more discrete patches than in the tenebrosus.

JonathanH

Reaction score
Wow - Dicamptodon posts really don't get much in the way of responses!

I made a flickr album of some of the larval giants I've seen this month. Some are copei, some are tenebrosus, and some I really am not sure about. Could you (or any other interested readers) take a look and tell me what you think?

Dicamptodon - a set on Flickr

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Well, this thread is over 5 years old. Most people don't dig that far back into the archives!

Linus

Reaction score
Great pics John. Dicamptodon has always been on my wish-list species but I'm on the east coast. . :p

JonathanH

Reaction score
Well, this thread is over 5 years old. Most people don't dig that far back into the archives!

heh - yah, I only found it because it was the only post showing D. copei. I was surprised that it hadn't gotten a single response, even back when it was first posted.

Linus - thanks for the props! I love Dicamptodon and finding an adult was always a childhood dream. I've been in Oregon/Washington for the last month and have been finding a large number: 8 that I believe were D. copei (including one neotenic adult), and 23 that I believe were D. tenebrosus (including 6 transformed individuals, 2 of which were big adults).

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I've just taken a look. To my eye it's a **** shoot - I wouldn't want to bet on any sold ID. Great photos though!

Lisa 8

Reaction score
More indicative of species in early larval stages is the body length and head width. The legs of copei will not adpress while tenebrosus has a shorter body and more broad head. The legs usually adpress.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!