Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Wild Hellbender pictures

ferret_corner

Reaction score
Picture pirates? I don't recall if you did this but if you did - forgive me - what about watermarking them?

I've been to some sites where I've attempted to copy a picture and couldn't. I have no idea how that is done. Could that be done here?

I will probably never have the opportunity to go herping for hellbenders and I really enjoyed your pictures. I'm sorry you felt the need to remove them.

And if protecting the whole site against lifting pictures is not possible what about just a gallery?

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I've got an itchy delete button for threads without substance. Please don't make me use it.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
If you really feel that way, feel free. Or patience may pay off. Your call.
And 6 months from now when you forget about this thread and remove or move the photos in your photobucket account, what do we do? This happens all the time and that's why we have inbuilt watermarking for people who make use of our Gallery. You are also free to remove your images from there at any time. You should also be aware that we are the hosts of the Cryptobranchid Interest Group.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Proper permits had, location not for discussion please.
I just noticed this line in Michael's quote. We have a well-known policy regarding locations, which we enforce very strictly. You can read it here.

shotgun

Reaction score
I'll second michaels' question; what permits are needed to photo a wild animal? ( I understand the locality issue, that wasn't the question though)

also would like to second rust's sentiments about more animals being crushed by anyone walking in the streambed regardless of their purpose for being there.

I'd also like to remind everyone that wild animals breed. IE; repopulate.

shotgun

Reaction score
While your assessment may make sense logically speaking, it is my understanding that little is known about larval hellbender habits and preferred habitats. If I am mistaken, please feel free to guide me to literature stating otherwise.

This being said, I would suspect that predation and habitat loss which would include water quality issues being number one in regards to larval survivorship.

While a few may be lost to being crushed during surveys, I view assessments of their numbers a necessary "evil" as you pose it.

So it becomes one of those situations, darned if you do......

habitat destruction? In the smokies? the streams throughout much of the Apalachan range are pristene, nat'l forest or inaccessible. blaming people is the lazy way out for researchers IMO. I'm sure there are issues, I'm not clueless but I've traveled quited a bit throughout the range and much of it is untouched.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!