Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

mold growth in my cricket breeder tub

shmifty5

Reaction score
Uh, so, yeah... here goes nothing.

I keep getting mold growth in my cricket breeder tub, i've tried everything but still the mold develops, whether it be on their water source or the breeding coconut fibre or thier dry cheerios+seed crush mix. Does anybody else have this issue and how do you guys fix it? thanks

ttamra

Reaction score
What's your maintenance routine like for the tub? I've never intentionally bred my own crickets, but I did keep a couple hundred of them in a tank and found that I had to be pretty diligent with cleaning it out because my little water gels made the whole thing humid which sets the scene for mold. I replaced the dry food once a week or so and I also replaced the cardboard egg cartons they climbed every other week (roughly). That kept the mold sitch under control for me pretty well.

shmifty5

Reaction score
i already have a square cut out of the top and covered by mesh (half the lid) should i replace the entire lid with mesh?

Mac Myers

Reaction score
When I used to breed them I used the deep Rubbermaid tubs with no lids at all... plus screened holes in all 4 sides. Along with diligent cleaning I never had a problem. I also used topsoil for egg laying.

shmifty5

Reaction score
i would like that, but my parents ensure that teh lid is on almost all the time, if they see the lid off they quickly shut the lid and berate me for hours on end about the horrors a single cricket could do to my neice (almost 2 yrs old now).

i guess i will have to just clean out any mold i see daily, i swear it grows like wildfire, way too much hassle to simply raise crickets, lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1