Andrias davidianus -- swaying

i suppose the swaying would be similar to an axolotl or siren waving it's gills to get more oxygen.

btw, something tells me that it wouldn't just be british kids causing havoc in the newt enclosure, some british adults can be exactly the same if not worse. if that was in britain the bottom would be littered in coins...

They can grow surprisingly fast dependent on the diet. While the ones at Philly didn't get 5 feet long they did go from about 8 lbs to 20+ lbs in a couple of years when I started feeding them skinned rodents... (went from large mice to large rats)...

Ed

Wow,
I hadn't ever heard about feeding Andrias rodents...I thought more along the line of farm raised trout or something. Thats interesting to hear. Thanks.
Travis

how about unsuspecting ducks? .....anyone hear the 'JAWS' theme playing?

They do feed on rodents in the wild. I saw slides from Sumio that contained rodents in the stomach washes (they also ate crabs, and of course fish).

Ed

i remember seeing a picture by Tim of a japonicus eating a snake

At the Omaha zoo this summer, we fed our japonicas thumped hopper rats (it spits out live ones... I think they squirm too much lol), large amounts of night crawlers, cray-fish, and thawed trout.

The One that used to live at bristol zoo was about 40" long and loved the odd rat in it's diet, plus you can hold the tail and not loose your fingers when feeding them!
Ben

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back