Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A.japonicus paraphernalia.

TJ

Reaction score
This woodblock print by the famed Edo Period artist Kuniyoshi Utagawa was just pointed out to me by a friend:

14722.jpg

Source: http://www.ukiyoe.or.jp/ohya/01-pics/b/kuniy-sansho-b.html

(Message edited by TJ on April 13, 2004)

P

paris

one of the lecturers at IAD had a japonicus t shirt-she said she got it from the japonicus appreciation society-i would like one of them. you should look around to see if you can get a hold of one tim. the front is just a cartoon head-face forward with the latin name under it up in the pocket area. the back however was really cute. it showed what appeared to be a chibi drawing of a giant sal from above in a stream -there were little ones scattered off to the sides(also chibi)they had their gills and the cutest part was one at the bottom left side was under a rock peeping out and another one was trying to take its hiding spot-it showed the one under the rock with the vocal lines radiating from its mouth-it gave the impression it was barking at the other one , it was a real cute shirt in that simple manga style.

E

edward

Hi Paris,
I know that the Cryptobranchid Interest Group was selling them. They were supposed to send me some T-Shirts to sell them at IAD but as I was out of work I did not get the shirts. If you want when I get back to work I can e-mail the other members of the Steering Committee to see if there are any left.
Ed

P

paris

yeah definitely man-do they come in any colour but that brown.....but not white!

S

shinji

19574.jpg

19575.jpg

Pottery of A.japonicus got by chance in Kasama-shi, Ibaraki in Japan.
The price was 5,000 yen.
5 pics are put on my homepage. (But, Japanese only.)

J

jennifer

That Andrias pottery figure is absolutely WONDERFUL! It is very detailed and life-like. Beautiful!

TJ

Reaction score
Welcome to the site, Shinji! And thanks for your contribution. I personally know you have a lot to share, so I'm looking forward to your future offerings
wink.gif

That pottery figure is indeed fantastic! I would kill/die (*almost*) to get one of those to add to my own collection. I wonder if there are any more to be found in Kasama. In the meantime, I'll just enjoy your pic!
biggrin.gif

By the way folks, Shinji makes some very nice Andrias pottery figurines himself. In fact, I have two of them. Here's one that we took with us on a trip to the Rocky Mountains of Colorado a few months ago:

19638.jpg

S

shinji

The illustration of the novel "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea".(Jules Verne/1869)
It is just like that of Siebold's "Fauna japonica".
I think that this illustration draws Japanese 'A. japonicus'.
19860.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
Very nice contribution, Shinji!
biggrin.gif
I've never seen that one before.

Anyway, here is your Andrias figurine enjoying gambling in Las Vegas
lol.gif
19882.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
This is from the Lake Biwa Museum in Shiga Prefecture, Japan:

20886.jpg

(displayed at the Himeji City Aquarium in Hyogo Prefecture)

TJ

Reaction score
This is from the Mizuho Hanzake Nature Museum in Shiga Prefecture, Japan:

20890.jpg

(displayed at the Himeji City Aquarium in Hyogo Prefecture)

E

edward

I didn't feel like starting a new thread for A. davidensis paraphanalia so here is a picture of the old davidensis graphic from the Philly Zoo (I rescued it from the trash).
Its not as clear as it could be as it was made to be backlit and wasn't easy to scan.

Ed
22687.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
Thanks for that contribution, Ed
biggrin.gif

I found this video being sold on eBay, though I'm not sure if it is supposed to be a "giant salamander" or just a "giant" salamander:

22851.jpg

"Spectreman is sent to Earth to help fight the pollution problem. The evil Doctor Gori creates a monster out of pollution and sets it loose on the city, if it is not stopped it will destroy the world."

Actually, it just occurred to me that this might be the same film of which excerpts appeared breifly in the Animal Planet "Amazing Amphibians" program that was discussed earlier.

(Message edited by TJ on September 15, 2004)

TJ

Reaction score
That reminds me of this one I saw posted before:

23049.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
I saw this recently being advertised on eBay. I found it...er, let's just say hard to believe
lol.gif

"Rare Late Jurassic Giant Salamander Fossil"

"This item you are bidding is a Rare Giant Salamander Fossil. the fossil form is very old and unique, The giant salamander fossil. According to the cognoscente appraisals the fish fossil has 160 million year ago, they were formed in remote antiquity . the rare fossil is very valuable collection! if you feel interested in it, please don't miss it, Thank you for looking and happy bidding."

23054.jpg

23055.jpg

The bidding started at 4.99 pounds or ECU or whatever they're called now and I dunno if it got beyond that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1