Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What colour is my axi?

kittyh21

Reaction score
I have just bought an axolotl and I am a little unsure about the colours.
I have done some research but I am confused over the whole black/melanoid/non-melanoid, can anyone shed some light?

Attachments

• day 2.jpg
    day 2.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 389

MrsGimmik

Reaction score
You have a WildType Axolotl.
He/She is very Beautiful ! <3 Good luck with your new addition ! :happy:

celticcrow77

Reaction score
Yeah, a melanoid would just be solid black. With all those speckles, you've got yourself a wildtype. Just like mine! It's neat, cuz that how they originally looked in the wild, before we started breeding weird colours out of them. :) Imagine him lurking around on the bottom of a lake, snapping at passing worms. He'd fit right in!

kittyh21

Reaction score
thank you both so much! The guy at the pet shop said he thinks she is a she! She is only 6 months, so I am going to research how to sex them and check again in a few months, once she has matured more :)

So a question again about the melanoids, I've heard you can get non-melanoid blacks, so do you know the difference between melanoid and non-melanoid-black?

weofui

Reaction score
thank you both so much! The guy at the pet shop said he thinks she is a she! She is only 6 months, so I am going to research how to sex them and check again in a few months, once she has matured more :)

So a question again about the melanoids, I've heard you can get non-melanoid blacks, so do you know the difference between melanoid and non-melanoid-black?

I'm not sure you could find an entirely black non-melanoid, but if they exist, the only difference would be that non-melanoids would have a shiny ring around the pupil, where melanoids do not.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
And not all melanoids are dark. You can have melanoid albinos and melanoid leucistics too.

kittyh21

Reaction score
Not always. I recently picked up a gorgeous grey melanoid with little black spots. Easiest way to tell is to look for the shiney ring around the eyes.

She has a lighter ring round her pupils, so does that mean she is a melanoid wild type?
What does it mean if she IS melanoid?

melfly

Reaction score
Shes just a wild type.
Thats not a throw away comment as she's gorgeous.

In better words she's non melanoid.

Mel

kittyh21

Reaction score
Thanks :) It's good to know these little things :) My brother got a leucistic one before christmas, but he doesn't even know what colour it is. I like to spend the time researching though, I find them fascinating :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!