Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

*wavewave* Hello everyone - just a newbie Axolotl question for you all....

Deraulle

Reaction score
Hi there, My name is Dell and I'm from the lovely land of New Zealand :D I've done a large amount of research on Axolotls and have finally decided to get one as a pet. I'm after a Leuicistic one so have been spending a ridiculous amount of time searching for my new baby :proud:

I just had a quick question, as I've been looking through Axolotl spawn I've noticed a large amount of the Leuicistic babies have "spotting" or discoloration on their faces.

Just wondering if this fades much as they grow or if it is an indication of how they will look when they're older. I saw a picture of one for sale online that had a wild type face with a light, leuicistic-type body. I'll try post a picture if I can.

Also a quick thank you to the founders and contributors of this website, I have learned so much thanks to all of you!

Deraulle

Reaction score
Here's the pictures

I'd really like as light of a face if possible on mine, as cute as this wee one is. Are pure white/pink leuicistics hard to come by?

Attachments

• 241754140_full.jpg
    241754140_full.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 385
  • 241754125_full.jpg
    241754125_full.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,388

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That's an extremely unusual axolotl there. I've never seen one that colored before.

In general, leucistic's spotting usually gets heavier as they age. It's all a matter of genetics and luck of the draw whether they get one freckle or 1,000.

cxp845

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

I think the axy in the pictures is the result of splicing the front of a wild type embryo to the rear of an albino/white axy embryo. It looks like the source of a business is a schools supply company and this is not the sort of axolotl you'll find in the pet trade.

A usual Leucistic (white) axy as mentioned will have some black freckles to the face but there may be very few or many. For one example of a leucistic can be seen below:

http://www.axolotl.org/images/animals/axolotl.jpg

Welcome, welcome, welcome! :)

Deraulle

Reaction score
Hmmm... I saw the coloring and thought it was rather odd, But the person who was selling this particular Axie had a few Wildtype/Leuicistics listed and was breeding from/for pets. I thought it was rather odd, from memory it sold for something like $20 NZD. I'll have to see if I can find some more info. But thats really good to know about the freckles - Thankyou both very much!

blazenbs

Reaction score
I have two leucistics and neither have any kind of dark pigment on them. Both are completely white beyond the red gills and black eyes :p . I've heard it is easier to find leucistics like this in the US. The picture you posted is unusual and I have never seen one like that. I wish you luck in your search :)

Deraulle

Reaction score
Aw! So very jealous blazenbs - I had a look at your photos and your babies are amazing! Thank you very much for the luck. :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!