Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Wormeries

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Hey Dawn,

I used to have the same problem and here is what do now and so far (8 months) it has worked. I filled a rubbermaid container halfway with dirt from where I collected the worms. I only lightly moistend the dirt, just enough to where it sticks to your fingers. I then covered the dirt with newspaper and then I put a piece of cardboard on top of that. I am sure you are doing all of this already but I figured I might as well state it anyways. Now here is where it seems to make the difference, instead of putting my worms back in the basement, I put them in the living room, (well it used to be the living room but now it's my reptile and amphibian room:D). I also feed the worms egg shells, coffee grounds and filter, carrot peelings, and kale. Well this is just what I do so you might want to give it a try but I can't promise you it will work for you though but it's worth a shot I suppose.

Later,
Justin

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
They only time the dirt gets stirred up on a regular basis is when I need to dig in it to get at the worms, even then the disturbance is minimal. However, once a month I do a complete soil "turnover".

Axel01

Reaction score
My cat's water preferences go: Daphnia culture, jefferson's sals water dish, toilet water, water from the bottom of the tub, window condensation, then MAYBE water from her dish, but only if it's licked from her paw (she dips her paw in, and licks it off). She prefers toilet water so much that she'll sit beside the toilet and yowl until we flush it so she can watch it swirl (she's got us trained).

Hey it's obvious isn't it. There's thing living in it must be OK. :)

if it's moving it's still alive:p

RICH123

Reaction score
Hi,
I keep my worms in the fridge in moss, not to damp just moist, and feed them small amounts of fish food every couple of weeks and they stay alive for months and months.
Hope this helps.

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
As far as I know, keeping worms in the fridge is only suitable for nightcrawlers. "Normal" earthworms like Dendrobena or Eisenia prefer higher temperatures and will usually not reproduce when kept in the fridge.

Axel01

Reaction score
I have a Can O Worms wormerie and I've been wondering if I can use the worms as newt fodder.

I think the worm that come with the kit are Dendrobaena.

One thing is for sure the compost that comes out of it grows really good plants.

tyaxloltl

Reaction score
I made my warm farm out of untreated pine fencing boards, they costs about $2 per 4 inch by 6 ft board, I bought 8 boards, cutting them in half, the "lid" is 1/2 inch grid mesh (this was adding after a rat/racoon invasion for food scraps), bottom was covered with river rocks (leftovers from a turtle rehabilitation ) , Ecoscraps Natural and organic herbal/vegetable potting soil, a bit of peat moss, and paper (cardboard, newspaper, paper grocery bags, etc. Just make sure it doesn't have any coatings or oils added to it) I through ALL food waste in it except citrus and coffee/tea grounds) just an extra FYI, my axies, love the worms that have been fed cooked fish scraps and/or banana peels.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!