Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Indoor Worm Farm Setups

TopsyTurvey

Reaction score
Hey y'all, I live on a boat and happen to have a number of fish tanks (including my beloved axolotl) and a worm farm.

Living on a boat has it's perks- and not-perks, namely the fact that we don't really have any outside space for a worm farm unless I want to risk exposing them to salt air and maybe the occasion salty shower!

So the worms are permanent residents in my room but I'm starting to realize having them indoors presents issues of it's own (ie drainage) so I was hoping to see some of y'alls setups to get an idea of how I could improve mine!

My Setup/Issues:

I had been keeping them in a 30cm high tank but was having too much trouble getting worms out as they would tend to stick around the bottom due to lack of food and after much struggling I decided to buy a more convenient setup.

A three tier drawer system where each draw is about 20cm high and holds about 30 liters of dirt/food/whatnot, so far it has proved to be absolutely brilliant and my eathworms currently only take up one draw so I plan on buying some tiger worms to put in the other two drawers and let my earthworms repopulate. (my earthworm supply is getting low and they're very hard to buy here, and it's not like I have a garden to nab them from :p)

However my room is a little crampt and the unit is a little too tall for my liking so I was hoping to have a look at not only get some ideas on drainage (neither of my farms have had any and I never realized how bad it was until I took the old tank down), but also on general set up ideas on how I could change it around!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!