Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tropical Sextet - is it all safe?

evut

Reaction score
I went to buy frozen blood worms today but the shop didn't have any so I got "Monkfield Nutrition - Tropical Sextet" instead.
It contains white, black and red mosquito larvae (red ones are blood worms I suppose and white ones glass worms...?)
Then there's daphnia, mysis and artemia. They are in separate cubes. Are all these things safe to feed to aquatic newts?

Thanks for your advice!

(I did a quick search and would say these things are probably good but I haven't used them before and want to be 100% sure.)

Last edited:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The only concern would be the Mysis and the Artemia. As salt water species, if used abundantly they can be a problem because of their contents of salts and various elements. Used sparangly they should be ok. The other stuff is all good, although some animals don´t really get into eating frozen Daphnia. Also, in my experience, the Mysis are a messy food and about half of it is left untouched, but each animal is a world xD

evut

Reaction score
Thank you!
I will try all of it (I mean try feeding it...I am not actually tempted myself :D - it's only a couple of cubes of the weird stuff. I'll schedule it before tank clean-up.

evut

Reaction score
I used the white mosquito larvae yesterday and I don't think I'll repeat that. I defrosted the cube and put some into the tank and they floated. I thought I would have to clean the tank because of this. Luckily the newts picked the food from the water surface without any problems... but today I found two absolutely disgusting living mosquito larvae swimming in the tank.

BellaHamilton

Reaction score
Hi,

Regarding your question I can say that mysis shrimp are supposed to be useful for the fish because of the amount of protien they contain.
However, I read also that it`s better to feed your fish with spirulina that helps increase their colors more.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!