Tank is cloudy, can't fix it?

joyka31

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had my axie for 5 months now and everything has been well except for the last two months I have been struggling with an unexplained cloudiness in my tank. I don't know what it is and have tried all I can think of.
He is alone in a 10 gallon tank and I feed him bloodworms and earthworms as of recently.
I've tried daily 50-80% water changes, it was clear for a few hours but became cloudy again quickly.
a full water change and a vinegar wash of everything except the filter,
a stronger filter (canister made for 50 gal)
I even bought a new filter, the Penplax 150 (had the 100 before)
My levels all read normal, nitrate of about 20 ppm or less.
He does not seem to be stressed but I can't even see him most of the time and it's very concerning.
Does anyone know what this is or what I can do to fix this?

3 days after 100% water change
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k614/vada1999/IMG_9402 2_1.jpg
4 days after 100% water change
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k614/vada1999/IMG_9411 2.jpg

We can't see your photos. You can add them directly to the post by clicking the paperclip (manage attachments) and browse to find the correct file to upload.

It would be helpful if you listed everything in the tank, in case someone can spot something that could cause an issue.

Did you add anything to the tank in the days/weeks before the cloudiness began?

Sorry about that! Here they are.
3 Days:
IMG_9402 2.jpg
4 Days:
IMG_9411 2.jpg

I did not add anything before it began, I noticed before that one my decorations that I got from a garage sale had white slimy stuff growing on it and it was covering everything in my tank. Once I took that out and got some new decor the slimy stuff went away thankfully, but now the water is really cloudy.
It is a bare bottom, 2 decorations from the pet store, I rarely have the light on, only when I'm feeding him or showing him off, he seems to be happy and not in distress. The water flow is low and his appetite is good.

I am sorry, but I'm at a complete loss. I've never seen that kind of cloudiness in my own tanks. A friend had something similar, but it was a huge ammonia spike caused by a power outage. Have you by any chance left out your water in a bowl or something to see if it gets cloudy? It's pretty far fetched, but maybe it's something in your tap water...

BTW, if that garage sale piece was driftwood, the white slimy stuff is a fungus that is naturally in the wood and water activated. Boiling is supposed to help, and is a great idea for anything used anyway. I have it all over my driftwood, and it doesn't hurt anything. I have ghost shrimp to try to eat it, but they die or disappear (naughty axies! ;))

How is the ph? If your ph is off, it can cause cloudiness. Also, it might be air bubbles. I don't understand how or why but occasionally I have seen really tiny air bubbles look like that. It takes time to settle but clears on its own.
Good luck! I hope whatever it is is harmless!

What level of ph could cause extreme cloudiness?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back