Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Price for ss gigliolii

tdimler

Reaction score
Wow, seriously? I find that stunning. I don't have access to the literature really anymore, now that I'm no longer at a university, but just a simple google search should be more than enough to convince you. I'll get to a brief list in a sec...but your point about caudates is slightly misleading in that they're still relatively new and obscure to the other herps in terms of the pet trade. But they're making headway. N. kaiseri is the biggest example at this point. I see several Asian species soon to foolow as well.

Mozafar Sharifi, Theodore Papenfuss, Nasrullah Rastegar-Pouyani, Steven Anderson, Sergius Kuzmin 2008. Neurergus kaiseri. In: IUCN 2009. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2009.1. <www.iucnredlist.org>.

But for other stuff, it's difficult to even know where to begin, it's so extensive, and I just don't have the time these days to really track down stuff for you, but here's a quick sample of herps:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/b...llegal-pet-trade-devastating-popul-2009-05-19

http://www.thedailygreen.com/environmental-news/latest/madagascar-turtles-tortoises-47020708

http://news.bio-medicine.org/biolog...-turtle-toward-extinction--new-report-8306-1/

http://chronicle.com/free/v52/i46/46a01201.htm

And this totally overlooks commercial collection for food and other products, it's just pet trade.

And to be clear, I'm not necessarily against commercial collecting. There are plenty of species that can handle sustained, regulated harvest each year for the pet trade. What I'm against is largely hobbyist/breeder motivated inflation of prices for rarer animals already threatened by extinction. If the animals don't already have it bad enough with habitat loss or perhaps they had a tiny distribution to begin with, putting such high prices on them makes them a glaring target. To me, a person knowing about the plight of a rare herp, but still offering their captive bred at prices that encourage continued poaching, is indefensible and inexcusable.

Additionally, the number of people keeping herps as traditional pets as well as the international market for herp collecting has exploded in the last 20-30 years. It's only recently become so large. We're on the cusp now. We will see start seeing a wave commercial collecting driven herp extirpations in the very near future, much like what we've already seen in fish, mammals, and birds.

Nate,

I guess I should be more specific....I can't think of any U.S. species that have reached near-extinction do to collection for the pet trade in recent years. I also agree that species that reproduce slowly like turtles are at risk. I'm not trying to take a shot at your statement...I am genuinely interested to see what the literature has to say because this topic comes up so often in personal conversations and on forums but much of people's opinions are sensationalized and unfounded.

As for my prices on gigliolii, they aren't rare in their range, they're protected, and I don't feel like my offering of captive bred will encourage illegal commercial collecting of gigliolii in Italy. Kaiseri may be another story. I still have not seen any real survey of their range and numbers though. Have you seen anything concrete?

Travis

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Gigliolii had been illegally collected for ages. I´ve only recently seen decent numbers of CB animals at not ridiculous prices here in Europe. In fact i think they are becoming "average" when compared to other subespecies which is very very good.
I personally get a bit angry when people say "they are locally abundant" as if that meant the subespecies is safe forever. Salamandra salamandra in all of it´s forms is declining like most european amphibians.
Sure the species is abundant, specially with such an extended area of distribution, but each subespecies is much more limited and some of them are suffering quite a lot (see alfredschmidti or almanzoris).
It´s obvious your prices don´t affect us europeans and do not promote wild collection(directly), but they create the ilusion that gigliolii are pretty much made of gold, or are able to grant three whises....at those prices they better do some tricks at least...
The thing is high prices create a sense of status for a particular animal and that´s just wrong to me. I understand though for some hobbyists status might be important....

nate

Reaction score
I guess I should be more specific....I can't think of any U.S. species that have reached near-extinction do to collection for the pet trade in recent years. I also agree that species that reproduce slowly like turtles are at risk. I'm not trying to take a shot at your statement...I am genuinely interested to see what the literature has to say because this topic comes up so often in personal conversations and on forums but much of people's opinions are sensationalized and unfounded.

As for my prices on gigliolii, they aren't rare in their range, they're protected, and I don't feel like my offering of captive bred will encourage illegal commercial collecting of gigliolii in Italy. Kaiseri may be another story. I still have not seen any real survey of their range and numbers though. Have you seen anything concrete?

Ah, that makes a bit more sense! But how/why did this get limited to only the US?? I'm certainly not limiting it there because the US and western Europe have a better system of laws and law enforcement to prevent such extinctions. And so many of the herps in danger of sensational pricing are in other parts of the world where laws or enforcement aren't realistic just yet. But we (the US) still do have some historic examples...alligators, bog turtles, etc. And the lack of scientific literature on this is more of a reflection of lack of venue to publish such data as well as the difficulty to tease it out of related articles on other aspects of biology. You'll find it in technical reports to government agencies, news pubs, etc.

I tend to disagree with you about the effects of pricing with gigliolii, though I doubt it will ever cause extinction due to the habitat being in a country with capable protection for them. But small scale collecting/selling will certainly contine to take place while the animals have such a high value. Suffice to say, anytime a rare species gets a high price tag, it's a step backward in conserving the animal in the wild.

N. kaiseri is indeed another story, and yes, concrete reasons for great alarm have been communicated to me from Iran. I can't comment too much about this at this time because I have some professional involvement with their conservation.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I blame the internet 100%. It’s transformed the way we learn and shop. It’s a shame that such a powerful tool can unwittingly cause new market demands for exotics. Books only create dreams, but the internet lets people create their wish list and buy it all in one day (if you have the cash that is). How many keepers had even seen a photo of kaiseri 15 years ago? Few I bet, and yet I could buy one now quicker than it’s taken to type this – no questions asked. It’s sad we even have to have discussions about fair prices.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
though I doubt it will ever cause extinction due to the habitat being in a country with capable protection for them. But small scale collecting/selling will certainly contine to take place while the animals have such a high value. Suffice to say, anytime a rare species gets a high price tag, it's a step backward in conserving the animal in the wild.
Capable protection? Right... I've witnessed individuals selling adult gigliolli out of the back of a car at Gersfeld while there were lectures going on in the town hall. That was the same meeting, I think, where guys who came to give a talk on Salamandrina terdigitata were selling those after the show too.

marco

Reaction score
Travis i accept your point, and though it pains me to say it i can not put any good argument back towards the case you stated.

In your example I cant fault the price's, but im sure there will be other's out there that will charge over the top amounts for more under hand principals. Again, this hobby is a hobby, not a nescessity like you say and so all is fair with prices. but I fear that these prices give other people a motif to collect them from the wild.

To you Travis and any other respectable members of the forum within the US, if your ever serious about breeding Gigliolli for the greater good of their species and import your own animals from the Uk/europe, please get in contact with me as with the N.Kaseri subject, I'd like to help towards limiting the stress on these animals wild caught populations. Maybe I'm just day dreaming, and I probably am but if I can help then I will.

nate

Reaction score
Capable protection? Right... I've witnessed individuals selling adult gigliolli out of the back of a car at Gersfeld while there were lectures going on in the town hall. That was the same meeting, I think, where guys who came to give a talk on Salamandrina terdigitata were selling those after the show too.

Well yes. You can never expect to be able to stop all individuals from poaching, but you can save the habitat and assure the species doesn't go extinct. That's about as high a level of capability as you can hope for.

Brian M

Reaction score
If the website was r&c i wouldn't buy that salamander. First i haven't heard good things about them over the web. I'm also in the hunt for an italian fire salamander and found that site 3 years ago. The price was 89.99 up to about a month ago then for some reason it jumped a 100 dollars. Also thats the same pic they've had up for the last 3 yrs. When asked they refuse to give pics of individual animals up for sale which is a big warning sign to me. If i'm gonna spend that kind of money, which i am willing i want to know what i'm getting.

Good luck and i'f you already purchased it please post a picture and what shape you received it in.

thanks,brian

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
I just bought 2 baby S.s.giglioli from GLADES off of KIngsnake they were 65.00 dollars
each. Shipping was steep though. 60 dollars to ship fed ex next day and a 10.00dollar box charge. 200.00 total for the pair. Nice animals They ate wax worms the day they arrived. I posted their pic in my profile.

Aitortxu

Reaction score
I bought 5 CB juvies of S. s. giglioli some months ago. At first all of them refused to eat anything, one died of hunger :mad:. But with a lot of patience and well care these four alive are fine, now they are fat and eating a lot of chopped earthworms. I want to breed them in a future ;).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1