Tankmates

dryopteris

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hi!
I was just wondring if, in a semi aquatic set-up, you could keep crocodile newts with other kinds of animals?
I know it is not adviced to keep any species of newts/salamander with other species of newt/salamander and that fish and insect will soon dissapear into their stomachs, but what about frogs, large fish, large insects (millepedes, beetles) or even small reptiles like crested geckos? I'm really curious about experiences other people had with any of these cominations(or other ones), especially concerning crocodile newts.
Btw: I'm not planning to get any crocodile newts in the near future, I'm just curious :wacko:

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen
I personally would only house prey items with crocodile newts,even species mixing with other types of tylototriton have detrimental affects

My T.verrucosus try to eat each other in preferance to the worms I drop in their tank. I wouldn't house then with anything else other than edible inverts.

No other newts or salamanders would really work. And fish aren't going to make the newts happier.

Really, anything other than, say, snails is just going to cause your newts stress, which won't manifest itself quickly, but is likely to reduce their lifespan.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back