Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fluidtherapy i vetrinary praktice

Badmungo

Reaction score
OK.

First let me appoligize for my poor english. Sorry. Bur here we go anyway.

I work as a vetrinary technician in sweden and i have a basic question to ask.

What kind of fluid is best recomended for terrestial salamanders who suffer from inapitens and dehydration and is in need of energy fast. Im thinking of forcefeed him byt would like to give something more. The vets here are good but tips are apritiated. Write here or pm me. It would help a lot.

Best regard.

Fredrik

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
In the US, there's a product called Pedialyte. It's a electrolyte solution made for children who are ill and losing fluids. I've heard of frogs being bathed in an unflavored solution of this to get some sugars into it quickly.

Badmungo

Reaction score
OK.

Thanks for a quick answer. In sweden we dont have that specific brand but there must be some kind of generica that i can find.

In the mean time I've used a catheter (without the needle of course) to feed the (tiger)salamander the content of a zofobasworm. This will hopefully give him some energy to help him get back on track.

If anyone have more ideas i would be very happy to hear about them.

Best Regards

Fredrik

herpvet

Veterinarian
Reaction score
OK.

First let me appoligize for my poor english. Sorry. Bur here we go anyway.

I work as a vetrinary technician in sweden and i have a basic question to ask.

What kind of fluid is best recomended for terrestial salamanders who suffer from inapitens and dehydration and is in need of energy fast. Im thinking of forcefeed him byt would like to give something more. The vets here are good but tips are apritiated. Write here or pm me. It would help a lot.

Best regard.

Fredrik

Hi Frederik,

For fluids alone, amphibian ringers solution (there's a formula here http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/bloatEDK.shtml), or 0.6% saline or ringers solution should be used. For injection addition of amino acid/vitamin mix (duphalyte is the trade name in the UK - see http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Fort_Dodge_Animal_Health/Duphalyte/-45225.html for composition) may be useful - I use 4:1 ringers to duphalyte for subcutaneous injection, 1:1 for intracoelomic injection, but other variations are used.

If you're wanting to get energy into him and can force feed/tube him, I would go with a glucose/electrolyte mix (I use reptoboost, but any such mix should be ok - lectade is the standard veterinary one here in the UK), possibly plus some amino acid/vitamin mix . I would use this for the first 1 -2 days, an increasing concentration of support feed such as critical care formula (Vetark products) for 2 - 3 days then start on (again gradually increasing concentrations of) liquidised dog (not cat) food. Such a cautious approach is best if he's not been eating for a while, to try to avoid refeeding syndrome (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refeeding_syndrome for a basic guide) - we don't know amphibians can suffer from this, but it's safest to assume they can. If he's been eating until a couple of days previously, it should be okay to start the liquidised dogfood immediately.

For the dogfood, I generally use either recovery-type diets (Hills a/d diet, waltham recovery diet) or ones designed for older dogs (generally lower fat/lower protein/lower calorific density) - we don't know enough about amphibian nutrition to be dogmatic, but I feel that these are least likely to cause problems with excess of fat etc.

Hope this helps,

Bruce.

Badmungo

Reaction score
Hi Frederik,

For fluids alone, amphibian ringers solution (there's a formula here http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/bloatEDK.shtml), or 0.6% saline or ringers solution should be used. For injection addition of amino acid/vitamin mix (duphalyte is the trade name in the UK - see http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Fort_Dodge_Animal_Health/Duphalyte/-45225.html for composition) may be useful - I use 4:1 ringers to duphalyte for subcutaneous injection, 1:1 for intracoelomic injection, but other variations are used.

If you're wanting to get energy into him and can force feed/tube him, I would go with a glucose/electrolyte mix (I use reptoboost, but any such mix should be ok - lectade is the standard veterinary one here in the UK), possibly plus some amino acid/vitamin mix . I would use this for the first 1 -2 days, an increasing concentration of support feed such as critical care formula (Vetark products) for 2 - 3 days then start on (again gradually increasing concentrations of) liquidised dog (not cat) food. Such a cautious approach is best if he's not been eating for a while, to try to avoid refeeding syndrome (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refeeding_syndrome for a basic guide) - we don't know amphibians can suffer from this, but it's safest to assume they can. If he's been eating until a couple of days previously, it should be okay to start the liquidised dogfood immediately.

For the dogfood, I generally use either recovery-type diets (Hills a/d diet, waltham recovery diet) or ones designed for older dogs (generally lower fat/lower protein/lower calorific density) - we don't know enough about amphibian nutrition to be dogmatic, but I feel that these are least likely to cause problems with excess of fat etc.

Hope this helps,

Bruce.

Hello.

Yes! This helps a lot.

I going to mix the amfibian ringer solutuon right away. I got all i need here. Reptiboost i do not have at this vetstation i work at but i know one not far from here that do.

A/D i have thought of but i wasnt chure on it but now i know. Thanks for that.

You have been very helpfull and if the salamander survives its all because of you.

Thank you very much!

Best regards

Fredrik

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1