Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Benny2k1

Reaction score
Hello all, i hope i have come to the right place!! today i have purchased 2 red bellied newts and i am just introducing myself :)

I have never done this before so any tips will be great

I have purchased a 18 gallon aquarium wich is filled about 1/3 of the way up, included in the tank is a basking rock for the newts to bask on, the water was decloronated and have a substrate, also in the tank is a plant and an under gravel filter, so far the newts seem happy enough!!

edna.jpg

Melvyn.jpg

Few questions are, how important is the filter? how often do i need to do a water change? and also about food, the food we were given was frozen mosquito larvee!! any good?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!!

looks like i have alot of reading to do :)

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Having a filter is generally a good idea, but I'm concerned that the way it's set up, your filter may not be working. The part I see in the corner is supposed to be under water, I think. Can you show some more details? Is the UG filter running with bubbles, or with a powerhead?

Mosquito larvae are good for them, assuming that the newts eat them. Be sure to clean out uneaten food right away so it doesn't foul the water.

By the way, your newts are Cynops orientalis. Here is a caresheet:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Cynops/C_orientalis.shtml

Cizza

Reaction score
got any more pictures of the tank ect...?

i think i have the same baskin orniment as you except my one is fully under warter got any fake or real plants in there??

Ciz

Benny2k1

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys folkes, i tried feeding tonight but they didnt show any interest, just seem to be sat on the rock at the moment, maybe aclimatising to the place?? I hope so!!!

filter is gushing water (instructions state that the head needs to be above water line

DSC00126.JPG

One real plant in the corner, rather small, the water is clear its jus a poor camera and the wall colour :)

DSC00125.JPG

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't see a lid :eek:. Do you have one? Newts are great at escaping, especially small newts like yours. Climbing vertical glass is not a problem when they're wet.
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/escape.shtml

For information about water quality read: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/waterquality.shtml

As you haven’t cycled your tank you’ll need to pay special attention to water changes. I’ve never liked under gravel filters. They just trap dirt in the one place you can’t get to. I personally would remove the filter and have a very thin layer of gravel or even no gravel at all. It’s important to be able to easily remove debris.

Your tanks is quite bare making your newts feel exposed. A few more plants and places to hide would be good. Have a look at these set-up ideas: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/setups2.shtml

Benny2k1

Reaction score
Yeh there is a lid hehe,

I have a fish tank so av had to learn about cycling tanks!!
Would the Nutrafin cycle (wich worked for my fish despite ppl saying it doesnt) be ok for newts?

Have a gravel syhon that is pretty good at picking up debris, some good pics there will have to add more plants for my lil buddies, jus hope they are ok and become active!!

Thanks for all feedback

peter81965

Reaction score
Hi Benny,
I'd like to reassure you that you have come to the right place! I started keeping caudates three months ago (paddletails, but I now also have a fire salamander) and I have found this site to be an indespensible source of advice, support and encouragement. In my limited experience just about any question on caudate care recieves a helpful reply. I have asked the most basic questions , ones that must make the hardened enthusiasts on here roll their eyes, but never yet have i been shot down in flames or cooled out. Enjoy the site and good luck with the newts.
By the way, one of the first things I learned was not to worry about their infrequent feeding, although I know that such fretting is unavoidable when your new to newt keeping.
all the best!

Benny2k1

Reaction score
cheers for that Peter, if you dont ask you dont know!!

Would nutrafin Cycle be safe/help my newts?

Benny2k1

Reaction score
Update,

MY newts seem to be still not used to the surroundings, 1 newt occasionally goes for a quick swim but otherwise its bein sat on the rock, ill be patient though and hope they get usedto it and start bein lil terrors!!

no interest in food yet either :(

Ben

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1