A 'just out of curiosity' question: handling

Tigerpuffer

Reaction score
Country
United States
i was wondering, what are the general thoughts on handling salamanders and newts?

I have a bit of a 'look but don't touch' policy with all my 'phibs, all animals get moved in clear containers and these are never used more than once between cleanings.

Nobody's told my White's tree frogs though and the big females will often end up trying to shove my hands into their mouths when I feed them :D.

I now wet my hands before I feed or handle any of them just in case anyone makes an unexpected leap.

There are several posts about this matter around the forum which you can find using the search engine. You´ll find that largely, it´s strongly recomended that you only handle a salamander/newt if absolutely necessary.

Well, it's best done as seldom as possible, because their skin is so delicate and they are so sensitive to toxins, which are absorbed through their mucus-membrane skin. Things you might have on your hands can be bad for them--hand lotion, hot chicken wings, whatever you touch. If you handle them, wash your hands first and make sure there's no soap etc. residue left. Your hands should be wet, also. Then wash them afterwards as well, that's a good idea. Also, it's not like they're mammals, that like to be cuddled. They don't really care about that at all. They run to you because you bring them food.

....but it is important that they have names.
Chip

Yes, redirect all that energy you want to pick them up with into thinking up clever names. Ha ha, Chip. I have to admit, only a minority of my newts have names anymore. After that 40th alpestris, the well ran dry.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back