Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A fellow Michigan native

K

kaysie

This little guy decided our barn would be the best place to hibernate, inside a pile of lumber. Little did he know, that lumber was being used soon. After moving stuff around (I think thats where the end of his tail went!), my father noticed him on the floor, picked him up and rinsed him off (I dont think the sal intended on the barn being dry when it rained). Dad brought him inside and shoved it in my face, much to my delight. So I took him out into the deep woods (okay, about 20 feet out) and put him in one of the many piles of debris and <font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font> that's out there. May it live long and multiply!

24912.jpg

24913.jpg

24914.jpg

K

kaysie

Due to size, I can pretty much be guaranteed this is Amybstoma laterale and not a Jefferson-Laterale complex. But there's really no absolute determination except DNA.

J

jeffrey

Beautiful photos Kaysie, I wonder if you will see the little fellow again next year.

K

kaysie

Jeff, I cant take credit for the photos being beautiful. It was the subject that was beautiful. hopefully I'll find this little dude or his offspring next year. :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1