Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

FBN Bloat? Air Bubbles?? URGENT

natuhlee

Reaction score
I have some nice wet paper towels with dechlorinated water for him to hang out on when he goes into the fridge in about 2 minutes! Some white stuff has come off of him so I guess that's probably a good sign.

Donna001

Reaction score
Glad to hear some of the white stuff has come off, and I hope he's not too stressed by what is happening. Keep a close eye on him.
I hope that he is ok over the weekend and that you are not too stressed having to wait for the vet to open on Monday. :happy:

natuhlee

Reaction score
Thank you! I feel weird having him in my refrigerator haha I just hope the poor little guy is okay.

natuhlee

Reaction score
I still haven't been able to get him into the vet (I have an appointment for Friday and am trying to get him in tomorrow) but I talked to the vet earlier (actually he left me a voicemail) suggesting that I bring his temperature up to the 70s and that I do it gradually so as not to stress him out. Any ideas on how to do that?

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's a bad idea. Water temperatures in the 70's are way to high for healthy Chinese firebellies, never mind ones that are already sick. I don't know why he suggested that, it seems crazy to me.
I wish I could be more help with your problem, but I've never had to deal with these kinds of symptoms. As you know I'd normally recommend a trip to the vets, but I really don't think you'll gain much by going to see that one.
I don't say this as a shot at you personally or anything you've done, far from it, but if anything good's going to come out of your thread, it shows people we aren't just being killjoys when we advise against buying petstore newts. From what I can see, you did everything right all the way from the beginning and set their tank up properly etc, but months down the line they are still struggling with serious health issues. even though they may have looked fine in the shop.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!