Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: URGENT!! Axie can't swim and isn't eating!!

franktank

Reaction score
I checked the tank before bed and saw that my axie wan't moving and was slightly on her side. Earlier she had been a little sluggish but she had been swimming around. Now she barely moves, very occasionally flaps her gills, and can hardly move at all. She even knd of floated in the shallower water. She's also lost a lot of weight. Her tankmate is perfectly fine; I think her tankmate hurt her legs so badly that she can't move two of them. I'm so worried, I'm afraid she won't make it to tomorrow.

Earlier post about the same issue (she is a lot healthier in those pics) She is the pink one. http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...89-help-reddened-body-scratched-up-limbs.html

Eternie

Reaction score
I think maybe the red legs,might be what is called Red Leg
Here is what Axolotl.org has to say on it
Aeromonas hydrophila, one of the "red leg" bacteria, is one the most common diseases that axolotls can suffer. It is septicemic, i.e. it can be widespread in the body because it is carried by the blood. Common symptoms are red patches on the limbs and parts of the body. Other bacteria such as Proteus, Pseudomonas, Acinetobacter, Mima, and Alcaligenes, have been found to affect axolotls. Salmonella is also known in axolotls and it is almost impossible to eliminate from effected animals as it becomes resident in the digestive tract. Treatment for most bacterial problems is best left to an expert, but the hobbyist has some means at his or her disposal. Obviously, changing the water is a good idea, but 100% Holtfreter's solution can also help to reduce bacterial numbers in the water and to aid osmo-regulation in effected animals. Antibiotics can be used in axolotls and the the most reliable form of antibiotic delivery is by injection, but this should usually be left to an expert.

If this sounds about it, try researching it, fridging will stop the quick spread of it. if not here is the link that identifies all the illnesses axolotls can get,

Axolotls - Health & Diseases

Red Leg does take time to spread, to it is possible that is the case, because it does not happen over night. I hope your axie makes it through, Good Luck!

EggAndSausage

Reaction score
Hi there!

Can you show some pics? I had a lot of axie problems like one dying from parasites and fasting for 21 days. Your problem sounds like the day of when my axie died, only mine was of the side lifeless and was stiff. If your worried about the tankmaye hurting your axie, you can quarantine your sick axie into another proplrly cycled tank or use some tank dividers. I think you need some professional help though from a knowledgeable person about axies or a vet close to you(the farther away might stress your axie and make it die on the way there). Please post some pics and more details. I don't have enough infornto know what your axie has. I don't want to diagnose it wrong ending up in it's death. Hope this helps(probably not)

-John >(• ^ •)<

franktank

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Sadly, she died the morning after I posted this...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!