Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Interacting with an Axie...

benh

Reaction score
I was just curious as to how much an Axolotl is aware of human presence etc? Do some of you have any stories of your Axies responding and interacting with you in an interesting way?
I've had mine for what must be just over a month, and I reckon he's gotten used to me now - he seems to understand certain signals and what they mean... such as bright pink chopsticks dangling in the water = feeding time, lol. I'm not very knowledgeable on how good their eyesight is, but can they recognise shapes moving outside of the tank? I know their sight is very poor...

I'm glad I decided to start using chopsticks to feed my Axie pellets - it's much more efficient, as I can drop them just above his head (sometimes they balance on his nose and he doesn't realise until he moves, then *GNOM* lol). I must admit that I was quite taken aback by the brute force of the little guy, when he inadvertently tries to chomp the chopsticks he's quite powerful :eek:
When I get a bite I'll jump a mile guaranteed!

I used to drop his food from the surface, as I was worried I might scare him with my giant looming hand, but he wasn't always finding the food, and I've had a couple of annoying worm experiences where they've managed to wriggle off behind some rocks before my Axies noticed :mad: In terms of efficiency, using the chopsticks and hand feeding the worms is working out a lot better, and I think my Axolotl seems to be more comfortable with my presence.

And finally (as if I hadn't rambled on enough already) I just wondered whether someone could give me an idea of how intelligent Axolotl's are - maybe by giving examples of other animals it would be on a par with, or close to... bit of an awkward one to answer I think.
Thanks guys!!!!

rachellag

Reaction score
I've had my axolotls for less than a month now, and one of them went from hardly moving and sitting in the corner of the tank, to almost excitedly swimming around when I come in the room. He swims up to the glass right in line with where I press my face almost saying hello. If I move back and forth, he follows. It is a strange transformation, but fun none the less. Perhaps he just wants to eat me! Our other axolotl likes being rubbed, and swims over if you put your hand in the water, and rubs his head on your finger. It will be interesting to see how they behave in the months to come. Intelligent, I can't say, but a seemingly adaptable sociability.

Reaction score
Well all I know for sure is that my axxies can tell me apart from others. Well , at least people who look very different from me.
When I am looking at them they swim to the front of the glass and 'beg' and do all kinds of cool stuff. But when my partner, dad, or friends come in the room they dart for cover. Cute for me, annoying for others, lol. I think it's coz I'm the sole feeder.

Other than that they seem completely oblivious. They are yet to eat anything that I'm not wiggling directly in front of them. If my hands not in the tank they won't even notice food at all. Even wriggling worms. and they don't seem to have much aim either. It's actually ridiculous to think these animals could hunt their own food in the wild. :D

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
People say their eyesight is bad. I don't think it is - newts and salamanders in general are very visual predators so their eyesight has to be decent.

I believe they can tell people apart by shape, to some degree. I've seen salamanders respond differently to different people.

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
I don't have an axolotl but I have newts but it is related; one of my newts comes running out if I walk in the room but if someone else comes in he'll take longer to come out or he'll run for cover.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Best advice I can give, is talk to them and hand feed them using tongs. It takes a while, but pretty soon they will react anytime the sense your presence or voice. Albeit, they just want to be fed.

I had one specimen that would swim up to the top of her tank and make popping noises by gulping at the surface until someone fed her. She ended up becoming slightly obese as my wife fed her three and four times a day!

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
I talk to my newt even though I read they didn't have ears...but I will walk in the room and talk to them and he comes running...

benh

Reaction score
Some nice examples of some friendly Axolotls :D (or just very greedy... lol)

I talk to my newt even though I read they didn't have ears...but I will walk in the room and talk to them and he comes running...

Haha - I do the same! He definitely understands what I'm saying... :rolleyes:

axie girl

Reaction score
I had one specimen that would swim up to the top of her tank and make popping noises by gulping at the surface until someone fed her.

My axie does that sometimes to! :rolleyes:
I think they must be able to understand you because mine swims to the front of the tank when I come in the room. I tap the top of the tank and if he's hungry then he will swim to the surface of the water.

speckle

Reaction score
i've had my axolotl about a week and we waves at me =) the other day when i was sitting on my bed i turned around to look at him and he lifted up one arm, moved it as if waiving then put in down and kept wandering about the tank, he also seems to be watching me all the time =)

benh

Reaction score
i've had my axolotl about a week and we waves at me =) the other day when i was sitting on my bed i turned around to look at him and he lifted up one arm, moved it as if waiving then put in down and kept wandering about the tank, he also seems to be watching me all the time =)
AWWW... cute! :D

speckle

Reaction score
AWWW... cute! :D
lol yeah it was pretty cute, i was actually quite surprised i would have thought it would have taken longer to recognise me. my sisters had a dog for a few years and im sure it doesnt know who i am... silly thing!! axolotl's are way smarter that dogs :D

Spartacus

Reaction score
I just recently had a wee juvey who was so curious about everything. He would peer up at me, almost demanding food. And swim/attempt to swim to the top to get any food that I was bringing. He'd follow my finger around or if I was nearby but ignoring him, he'd climb onto his rock, and glare (as best as an axie can) at me until I fed him. I miss the wee guy :(

My golden adult Ziggy loves shiny things, and will eagerly chase a spoon around the tank. Its adorable.
Personally, I think axolotls are incredibly dumb. But I love them for it. They can have incredibly delayed reactions, like dropping food near their head and they'll snap at it waaay too late. Or if a pellet is on the floor right by them, and they'll snuffle around the ground everywhere but where the pellet is.
In saying that, Ziggy will smell a pellet from the other side of the tank and be there in a few minutes stuffing his face. Its a pain when the pellets arent for him >.<
They are such quirky creatures

Spartacus

Reaction score
Forgot to mention how my leucistic Hephaestion tries to snap at things outside the tank. A baby rat ran past the glass and he tried to eat it, or I'll bend down to look at him and he tries to eat my face! I sometimes trick him by running my finger down the glass like a sinking pellet, its so cute.

Cyer

Reaction score
Sounds like they are pretty smart, I wouldnt know though I dont have any yet! Cant wait till I get one :)

aziraphale77

Reaction score
I hand feed my axies and they definitely respond.

My "big guy" (Jabberwock) is in a tank that is across from my doorway and when I come home he will swim over the the side of the tank and welcome me home. He also likes to follow me around. When I go sit on the couch, he swims over to that side of the tank and watches me. When I go in the kitchen, he follows me over that way. He greets my visitors when they come over, but only when they come up to his tank. Otherwise he completely ignores them.

My "little guy" (JubJub) is still getting used to me butis already developing some cute quirks! I can't wait to see how that one's personality develops.

Niommy

Reaction score
Awww! Your axolotl are all so cute! :D

"Our other axolotl likes being rubbed, and swims over if you put your hand in the water, and rubs his head on your finger" - Rachellag

Mine
sort of do that too! If I try to feed them and they're not hungry they just swim around my hand and rub against it! They seem to like trying to sit on my hand too thought their to wriggly to stay there!

Axiegaz you'll have to keep us informed about your axolotl once they settle in!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!