The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Introductions Area Where new members introduce themselves.

Old 31st October 2019   #1
ShadowSiren6

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ShadowSiren6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New and looking for advice!

I am planning on setting a 6'L x 3'W indoor pond for aquatic salamanders and/or newts with a bit of land space available just encase I get a species that does spend any time on land, but I am still not sure how deep the pond should be or what species I should keep, rather or not there are any species that be housed together, or what filter would be best for the pond and I want to get this right; I hate making stupid rookie mistakes, the animals just end up suffering and that is just unacceptable! So I am going to be asking a lot of question.

ShadowSiren6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2019   #2
caudated

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: caudated is an unknown quantity at this point

Usuall you wanna avoid housing different species together, unless you want to risk disease. Also this question is too broad, you need to have in mind at least something, or at least do some research before getting a caudate. I keep 14 species of newts and 12 of are fully aquatic, and 2 species refuse to go in water. Since you're new, I suggest cynops, notophthalmus, pleurodeles, since they tend to stay mostly in water and rarely climb on to land (as far as I'm concern mine haven't tried). I consider species like triturus, listriton, and ichthyosaura to be a little bit more advance since they have terrestrial phase and if given the chance few individuals might prefer to stay on land for most of the year and only enter water to breed (lots of ppl successfully keep them aquatic year round, but I only successfully did that with crested and alpine, my marble hate water). If you like challenge and have a truly beautiful display species, go for neurertus. They're fairly hard to get and are described as ninja turtle spider man at escaping, goodluck with containing those guy, but only a few can surpass the beauty of a kaiser newt (neurertus kaiseri). I have kept all these species and more, if you have questions pm me :)

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

caudated is offline   Reply With Quote