Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotls losing gill feathers

Axies R us

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Lately I've been noticing that my axolotl (Lizzy) has had a significant decrease in gill feathers. (I'm sorry, I didn't know how else to word that) She is in a 20 gallon long tank with no substrate and a 40 gallon sponge filter. I use an aquarium fan to keep her cool and the tempurature is usually around 60. She's fairly active and seems to be doing quite well except for the gills.. I try to do weekly water changes. Sometimes it's a week and a day or two. The first picture is from September. It's the best one I've found. She's hard to photograph. The second is today.

good gills Lizzy.jpg

Bad gills Lizzy.jpg

landonewts

Reaction score
I see something similar on the wild type I just got. Gill feathers reduced over a week, although he was stressed with a fungal infection and nitrite spike ( both now resolved, he’s still recovering.) What are your water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?

Nvoyt123

Reaction score
100% Check the water parameters. Poor water quality Can lead to loss of gill filaments. If you were doing frequent water changes then check the waterSource for any contamination or out of whack levels.

Axies R us

Reaction score
Sorry I never responded. I lost my password and wasn’t able to get in. She’s doing fine now, I fridges her and started cleaning her tank twice a week.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1