Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Prevention of Breeding?

Severance

Reaction score
Hello all. So i have a sub-adult axie who I'm pretty sure is female at this point. I'd like to get her a tank mate once I'm positive of her gender, but I'm trying to avoid eggs.

I know the best way to do this would to be to get another of the same gender (obviously), but when getting an axie shipped you never really know what'll happen.

So I'm curious for all of you who keep multiple axies, what do you do if you accidentally get eggs?

auntiejude

Reaction score
There are really only 3 options - sell them raise them or destroy them.
Selling them is not difficult unless you're experiencing extreme weather, and posting them is easy.
If you choose to raise them you'll be dealing with daily water changes, BBS hatcheries, and then the problem of what to do with the babies. I would normally recommend that someone keeps about 20 eggs and disposes of the rest.
You can cull the eggs by freezing them - it needs to be done in the first 4 or 5 days.

You can also allow the eggs to hatch and feed them to bigger axies, but a lot of hobbyists don't have the stomach for that.

At the end of the day preventing eggs is better than dealing with unwanted eggs, so sexes should be kept separate.

Severance

Reaction score
There are really only 3 options - sell them raise them or destroy them.
Selling them is not difficult unless you're experiencing extreme weather, and posting them is easy.
If you choose to raise them you'll be dealing with daily water changes, BBS hatcheries, and then the problem of what to do with the babies. I would normally recommend that someone keeps about 20 eggs and disposes of the rest.
You can cull the eggs by freezing them - it needs to be done in the first 4 or 5 days.

You can also allow the eggs to hatch and feed them to bigger axies, but a lot of hobbyists don't have the stomach for that.

At the end of the day preventing eggs is better than dealing with unwanted eggs, so sexes should be kept separate.

Thank you very much for the info.

E

Elise

I read that Axolotls eating other Axolotls can cause deformed/odd growth, is this right ?

It's been discussed that each batch of eggs will have a subset group being much smaller in size due to a lesser growth rate. This can be advantageous for the larger more robust growing axolotls in times of food scarcity where they can predate on their smaller siblings for survival. However, to address your question, I don't believe cannibalism alone would cause any growth abnormalities, unless there were other factors around malnutrition.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!