Fire salamander viv

Aron1234

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Gage Haldeman
Anybody else out there keep fire salamanders if so I'm looking for some good ideas for a setup can't seem to find any good ones online and I thought some of you experienced keepers know what's good in a tank. Please post pics thanks

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I like to do a small set up for juvenile fire salamanders. I use pea gravel covered with pressed down cocofiber as a substrate. I seed the substrate with dwarf isopods and some springtails. I add some dried maple or oak leaves, a small water dish, and some cork bark hides. I feed them chopped earthworms, whiteworms, fruit flies, and small crickets.

A similar setup but larger can be used for adult fire salamanders. I feed my adults large earthworms and crickets.

Here is a picture of the type of setup I like. It has green marbled newts in it and could use a few more leaves and hides. I use a similar setup for all small terrestrial salamanders.

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 206
  • DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 221
  • DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 226
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back