Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Possibly bloated/compacted axolotl (pictures included)

leahhhpage

Reaction score
Hi! I am very new to the keeping of axolotls and am in need of some help. I know this is a very common question but my juvenile leucistic axolotl has a dark black tummy. I got my mom to take a look at him and even she thinks he looks a bit bloated, he loves to eat and will heat about 4-5 blood worms once a day everyday. Another problem, that i believe is a sign of a bloated axie, is that he floats up just a little, usually tail up, and then swims back down. I have grown very attached to him despite having him for a week, so I would like to fix the issue.

- (I realized that I should include my water parameters, I use the API freshwater master test kit):

pH : 7.6 (I've been adding tetra easy balance in small doses with each water change to help get this down to 7.2, it is definitely working)
ammonia: 0 ppm
nitrite: 0 ppm
nitrate: 5.0 ppm
- i use SeaChem Prime or the Tetra AquaSafe for dechlorinating, and every so often I use the Tetra Water Clarifier, and as seen above I use the Tetra Easy Balance to assist with a higher pH

my tank is fully cycled, it includes a 20 long tank, CaribSea brand sand for aquariums, a three fan aquarium fan and a Fluval 30 filter (I also have a few artificial plants and a large log for hiding)

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0158 (1).jpg

thank you for the help!!

EggAndSausage

Reaction score
This has nothing really to do with the bloated thing but, did Taylor Dean inspire you for your sand and other stuff? Anyways, you should only stick to one dechlorinator. Use just Seachum Prime instead because it's better. 2 dechlorinator is too many chemicals in the tank especially for your small axie. Your decorations have nothing to do with your axies problem. I don't have anything else really to help you out but, call the place where you got your axies for help. They probably have more knowledge.If it's a chain petstore where you got him/her (petco,Petsmart, etc) don't even bother calling because they just say the craziest things like put a seahorse in your tank or your axies can live with a tegu.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi:happy:

I suspect that the dark area is from ingested sand. When they feed they gulp in their food, taking anything else small with it. It may be worth making a feeding area on something smooth. Some people use a large clean jar. Place the food at the bottom and your little axolotl will learn to go and feed in there.
You don't need to adjust the ph, let it be, it is fine :)
What is the water temperature at the moment, mine used to float more when it was getting too warm.
Let us know how they are doing.
Julia

leahhhpage

Reaction score
This has nothing really to do with the bloated thing but, did Taylor Dean inspire you for your sand and other stuff? Anyways, you should only stick to one dechlorinator. Use just Seachum Prime instead because it's better. 2 dechlorinator is too many chemicals in the tank especially for your small axie. Your decorations have nothing to do with your axies problem. I don't have anything else really to help you out but, call the place where you got your axies for help. They probably have more knowledge.If it's a chain petstore where you got him/her (petco,Petsmart, etc) don't even bother calling because they just say the craziest things like put a seahorse in your tank or your axies can live with a tegu.

Hahaha yes she did! I loveeee her videos and her axolotl mushu has seemed to be doing so well through updates on youtube and through all my gathered info on axolotls her route seemed the best for a beginner like me. (I think im going to possibly switch the filter to maybe a sponge filter or maybe a filter with a spray bar.) Anyways, I think at the time when I posted this I was freaking out over nothing, I had only had him for a few days so everytime he did something remotelt "strange" i freaked out!! But now i have learned that all axolotls have many differet personalities and it was nothing to worry over.

EggAndSausage

Reaction score
I am glad your axie is doing better. Mine on the other hand is not. He has small white circles on his bods and white patches on the end of his gills. Can you please tell me how to put the Illness/Sickness as part of my title? My axies really needs help but no one responded to any of my pleads. So... how do you put the Illness/Sickness as part of your title? And how do you get your blog onto the all categories section?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1