Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Recommendation by the Secretariat for CITES App. 1 inclusion of Neurergus kaiseri

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Exerpt from Recommendation by the Secretariat CoP15 Doc. 68 Annex 2 – p. 18

The species may meet the biological criteria A ii) and iii) in Annex 1 of Resolution Conf. 9.24 (Rev. CoP14). Although the wild population has a restricted area of distribution, the supporting statement gives little information about the criteria mentioned in subparagraph i), iii) or iv) of paragraph B in Annex 1 of Resolution Conf. 9.24 (Rev. CoP14). A marked decline in terms of paragraph C of the same Annex is not demonstrated either.

On the basis of the information available prior to the discussion at CoP15, the Secretariat recommends that this proposal be rejected. The Secretariat believes that inclusion of the species in Appendix III may be more appropriate in the circumstances.

Read the full document here.
:smile:

Last edited:

ajc

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for posting. OK, I need a lawyer - what does inclusion in Appendix III mean for breeders?

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
App 2 is what axolotls are listed under. International shipping by permit only. No restrictions on captive breeding, etc. Same rules would apply. App 3 merely means CITES recognizes that local laws are in place to protect said species.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1