Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Kaiseri consolidation project

Tappers

Reaction score
Although I've posted in the 'Wanted' area, I thought it only right to post in here as well...

Myself and a friend are trying to get a group of kaiseri together with an eye to running a breeding programme that can be worked into a studbook for the species, using animals currently in zoological collections supplemented with those in the hands of responsible breeders in the UK who have already done so much to help this species.

If you have any surplus animals and are in the UK or neighbouring countries, we'd love to hear from you.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would encourage anyone who keeps N.kaiseri to participate in the studbook already held by Jochen Kopetsch for AG Urodela.

I'm unsure if you're proposing a new studbook, Tappers?

Until we know the legal status of pre-convention animals it's hard to say how the CITES listing will affect captive trade. I personally believe that pre-convention animals will probably be given legal status in the EU. Once a handful of breeders test the system and have offspring certificated trade will continue as normal - maybe at slightly higher prices to cover certification costs, which are inexpensive for groups.

If I'm wrong and the legality of pre-convention animals is questioned, breeders will just have to be satisfied with giving animals away within their own EU boundaries. Axolotls are rarely traded across borders and they flourish in captivity. N.kaiseri is quite easy to propagate in captivity so I think they will remain popular in this small hobby. I would like to think that financial gain does not solely drive hobbyist's intentions with these newts...

Tappers

Reaction score
Thanks Mark,

It seems through my investigations that there are animals in collections that aren't part of the current framework and this should be a priority. I'll contact Jochen Kopetsch and see if the specimens I've found are shown on his records. One studbook is ample if it's properly subscribed to.

I hope that anyone dealing with this species will act with it's best interests and I find myself aquiring specimens at a crucial time for the status of this newt. I merely want to do my part to ensure that it doesn't become one of the animals that you hear people discuss in whistful terms and remember when they last kept/saw them..

RobM

Reaction score
I too would like to find some unrelated N.Kaiseri to pair with my current group before things get any stickier. However I do not think many people want to part with them at the moment. If anyone does then I would appreciate it if they got in touch.
I would be willing to trade one from my group, however as they are just short of sexual maturity I wouldn't want to take the risk of being left with a group that is all the same sex.

Tappers

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Rob, even I'm starting to worry that my publicly-stated interest in gathering non-breeding Neurergus makes me sound like some kind of internet scammer :rolleyes:

I've located a single-sex group of three males and it may be that at some point in the not too far distant we can move a few animals of known ancestry around (which may involve clandestine meetings in multi-storey carparks judging by the effect talking about these newts has ;)) in order to maximise spawnings.

Things sound promising based on a posting made by AJC concerning his re-homed individuals, as when I recently inquired, there were no existing studbooks in the UK for this species within the framework of large collections - great news for us all if projects such as the Victorian Cichlid schemes of the last decade or two are anything to go by..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!