The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) The Tiger Salamanders and the Axolotl are so popular amongst hobbyists that they have been given their own topic. If you're particularly interested in the Axolotl, there is a large section of the forum devoted mainly to beginner Axolotl enthusiasts (not this topic).

Old 20th July 2012   #1
Ben Krysa

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: Ben Krysa has given good advice and informationBen Krysa has given good advice and information
Default Concern for larval tiger salamander

I noticed one of my larval tiger salamanders eyes appears clouded and he has been sheeding cells from his gills rapidly. It has been fairly warm here in edmonton recently and my tank is around 23-24 degrees celsius. He is still eating normally and stool samples are well formed.

I believe he may be a bit stressed due to the warmth. So my question is....

Is it safe to refridgerate a larval tiger salamander similar to the methods described for axolotls?

Any advice and suggestions are welcome. Also i was told the tiger is Ambystoma tigrinum from Florida but i have seen some morphs from the same batch and they bear a striking resemblance to the Ambystoma mavortium melanosticum native to alberta. Not too sure if any of that last bit of information is useful but it can't hurt to include it.

Ben Krysa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2012   #2
Jan
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Jan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Concern for larval tiger salamander

Although I have no direct experience with refrigerating larvae, my thoughts would be:
1. Larvae in general are sensitive to too high or low temperatures which can make them becomed stressed.
2. Rather than refrigerating at a temp of ~4C, I would start with getting the temp down to 18-21C using ice packs under the tank or frozen water bottles, etc.

Jan is offline   Reply With Quote