The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) The Tiger Salamanders and the Axolotl are so popular amongst hobbyists that they have been given their own topic. If you're particularly interested in the Axolotl, there is a large section of the forum devoted mainly to beginner Axolotl enthusiasts (not this topic).

Old 17th January 2013   #1
Jess
(JessKB)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: JessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Cannibalistic Tiger?

I went to the reptile show in Taylor MI with Neotenic Jaymes last weekend and a vendor had a couple tigers that appear to have physical cannibalistic attributes. Both specimens have very wide, flat heads. They certainly don't look like normal tigers.

Here's pictures of the one I purchased:
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0228.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	27162

Name:	DSC_0229.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	27163

Name:	DSC_0233.jpg
Views:	1540
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	27164

Name:	DSC_0238.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	27165
What do you guys think? cannibal tiger? or just weirdly shaped?

JessKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013   #2
kiathepooch

Nationality:
Rep: kiathepooch has shown reliable knowledge

Mine have slightly flatter and wider heads than normal but i keep two together and they haven't attacked or eaten each other yet?

Yours does have a bigger head than mine....maybe someone else can shed some light on it!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 17th January 2013   #3
Jasper
(jasper408)

Nationality:
Rep: jasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Cannibalistic Tiger?

No one is posting, so I'll add my .02. It doesn't look swollen and it definitely looks like the jaws a cannibalistic tiger would have. I was curious about what the head shape would look like after morphing, and it seems to retain its shape. I wonder if its cannibalistic tendencies remain.

jasper408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2013   #4
Neotenic_Jaymes
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Comments: 2
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Took me a while to take pics but its done. After an hour of wrangling and getting dirt all over my phone, here are the pictures. Notice the difference in head shape and size. Bottom jaws are visible from top view and snout is very much longer. This Tiger Salamander was larger than the one JessKB got.

Meets all criteria of (cannibalistic Tiger Salamander). Though I couldn't find any pictures of Cannibal Tiger Salamanders anywhere for comparison, besides skull sketches. I did do some reading and most or all the articles mentioned larger head size, larger mouths, elongated vomer/snout and enlarged recurved teeth. Though I haven't checked the teeth, doubt that I will. The seller said they were cannibal morphs but I had to look into it myself.

Cannibalistic individuals have been recorded in multiple species of Tiger Salamanders. Though most individuals are or can be cannibals only few change into the cannibal morph. One article suggests that populations that do have cannibal morph Tigers Salamanders usually means that all the Tiger Salamanders in that population have the genetic cues to become a cannibal morph. The cannibal morph process begins when they're larvae.

Here are the pictures, some of the pictures in the comparison shots aren't all mine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1.jpg
Views:	1063
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	27204   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	27205   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_5.jpg
Views:	2749
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	27206   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_7.jpg
Views:	754
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	27207   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_4.jpg
Views:	966
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	27208  

Name:	image_3.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	27209   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_6.jpg
Views:	2215
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	27210  

Old 18th January 2013   #5
nai live
(xxianxx)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Nice pics guys, they clearly show a non standard head. There is an old thread about cannibal head development http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-a...ic-larvae.html

Old 3rd May 2013   #6
JTinker92

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: JTinker92 is an unknown quantity at this point

so does a cannibal show aggression towards the handle if you try to pick it up or whats so bad about them. i mean whats the difference if you had one in captivity?

JTinker92 is offline   Reply With Quote