The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Near and Middle Eastern Newts (Neurergus) Arguably the most beautiful newts in the world, this Asian genus is highly desired by many hobbyists.

Old 10th September 2009   #1
Neotenic_Jaymes
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Comments: 2
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Neurergus Strauchii Larvae

These little guys are so spoiled! They get special attention, they're one of my favorite species. I have 2 groups of larvae, keeping 1 group on the 1st floor of my house in my bed room. This group gets much more daylight and ofcourse its warmer. The ones downstairs in the basement are being kept in my newt room. Its much cooler and less daylight. The ones kept in my bedroom are showing signs of morphing and the ones downstairs seem to be a step behind the ones in my room. They are being fed blackworms and live brineshrimp. I feed both groups consistantly the same amount of food and the same amount of times. Its easy to see why I show favortism towards this species, here look for yourself!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2321.JPG
Views:	895
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	7762   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2317.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	7763   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2313.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	7764   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2310.JPG
Views:	909
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	7765   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2311.JPG
Views:	2310
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	7766  

Old 10th September 2009   #2
Huug
(huug)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 6
Rep: huug has given good advice and informationhuug has given good advice and informationhuug has given good advice and information
Default Re: Neurergus Strauchii Larvae

They look great!
Great that you can actually see their colors now.
Normally when color shows most species have smaller gills i think.
They look great with the yellow dotts and still the impressive size of the gills!
You are so lucky with these

How old are they now?

Old 10th September 2009   #3
John
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Very nice. As they stand right now they are paedomorphs.

Old 10th September 2009   #4
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Looking good, Jaymes!

Unlike most species, N. strauchii has a "disconnect" between metamorphosis and the loss of gills. The two processes are not linked. It's very common for them to complete metamorphosis (as judged by the color change and body shape) but retain the gills for weeks/months thereafter.

Personally, I don't think this qualifies as paedomorphosis. Paedomorphosis is the appearance of juvenile traits in adults. I don't think anyone has ever seen gills in adults of this species. These are just juveniles that have a variation in the sequence of events as they lose the juvenile traits.

Old 10th September 2009   #5
eljorgo
Banned

Nationality:
Comments: 27
Rep: eljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and information

Amazing, how did you get those in US?

eljorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009   #6
Neotenic_Jaymes
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Comments: 2
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Its no secret where I got mine from! I got mine from a well respected source that has been working with newts for a long time. Many people in the community praise her work.

Old 11th September 2009   #7
eljorgo
Banned

Nationality:
Comments: 27
Rep: eljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and information

Cool . I see...
Sucess with those!

eljorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009   #8
xMIDNIGHTx

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: xMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Beautiful newts there Jaymes, I am envious! (As I bet many others are too ). Please keep the updates coming.

I am interested to see if there are more slight differences as development goes on with the difference in temperature (range?) and sunlight exposure. I assume the setups are extremely similar in both places.

Take care and good luck!

Mitch

xMIDNIGHTx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
larvae, neurergus, strauchii